Bing closing graft-filled Detroit Department of Human Services
In a move designed to improve services for struggling Detroiters, Mayor Dave Bing is forfeiting more than $72 million in federal money intended to help poor people because a city department showed it can't handle the funds effectively, his administration said Tuesday.
Bing is shutting down the Department of Human Services on the advice of state and federal officials who became alarmed after investigating it, following a series of Free Press stories that chronicled corruption and mismanagement.
Council members threatened to challenge the department's closing at a meeting Tuesday. They said... read more
- 19:20 'Lost in Space' due to arrive on Netflix
- 19:16 Black Lives Matter leader warns Clinton of convention protests
- 18:57 Who knew Pier 1 doesn't have a gift registry? Swung to a loss,...
- 18:55 Horizon High student dies while hiking on Israel trip; 3rd student...
- 18:53 In ME, Trump strikes back at US Chamber on trade
- 18:47 If Your Business Flops, It's Probably Due to One of These 7 Causes
- 18:44 Latest: Crew deploys fire shelters at Cedar Fire
- 18:43 Anthony LeBlanc: John Chayka 'A-plus' as Coyotes GM
- 18:40 Dallas man gets 25 years for killing teen with hammer after K2...
- 18:40 Teens say they were playing with a gun when 1 fatally shot...