Bing closing graft-filled Detroit Department of Human Services
In a move designed to improve services for struggling Detroiters, Mayor Dave Bing is forfeiting more than $72 million in federal money intended to help poor people because a city department showed it can't handle the funds effectively, his administration said Tuesday.
Bing is shutting down the Department of Human Services on the advice of state and federal officials who became alarmed after investigating it, following a series of Free Press stories that chronicled corruption and... read more
Most read news
- 20:23 'The Good Wife' calls it quits
- 20:11 Door-knocking with Bernie Sanders' N.H. foot soldiers
- 20:11 Will Puppymonkeybaby haunt your dreams?
- 20:06 Florida's giant Powerball jackpot still unclaimed
- 19:47 Unforgettable Super Bowl national anthem performances
- 19:43 Super Bowl 50 quarter-by-quarter analysis
- 19:43 Bell: When Super Bowl memories mean even more
- 19:12 Brennan: Imagining the NFL 50 years from now
- 18:49 Minnesota's Banham ties NCAA record with 60 points
- 18:39 Empire State Building acting as virtual scoreboard for Super Bowl