Bing closing graft-filled Detroit Department of Human Services
In a move designed to improve services for struggling Detroiters, Mayor Dave Bing is forfeiting more than $72 million in federal money intended to help poor people because a city department showed it can't handle the funds effectively, his administration said Tuesday.
Bing is shutting down the Department of Human Services on the advice of state and federal officials who became alarmed after investigating it, following a series of Free Press stories that chronicled corruption and... read more
Most read news
- 13:31 Cops: Half-nude woman passed out in yard
- 13:19 Cowboys-Rams Upon Further Review: DeMarco Murray, carry by carry
- 13:19 Merck KGaA buys chemical maker Sigma Aldrich for $17B
- 13:19 Tesco shares plummet on overstated profit
- 13:19 Investors' pullback trims August home sales
- 13:19 Stocks tumble; Alibaba falls 4% on 2nd day
- 13:19 Watch as folks respond to free financial advice offer
- 13:19 Is Facebook one of the best U.S. companies?
- 13:14 Pink Floyd to release new album Nov. 10
- 13:00 Jason Aldean is with Brittany Kerr, tells critics to 'get over it'