Bing closing graft-filled Detroit Department of Human Services
In a move designed to improve services for struggling Detroiters, Mayor Dave Bing is forfeiting more than $72 million in federal money intended to help poor people because a city department showed it can't handle the funds effectively, his administration said Tuesday.
Bing is shutting down the Department of Human Services on the advice of state and federal officials who became alarmed after investigating it, following a series of Free Press stories that chronicled corruption and mismanagement.
Council members threatened to challenge the department's closing at a meeting Tuesday. They said... read more
- 10:15 AP Source: IOC decides against complete ban on Russians from Rio...
- 10:15 Beer Man: Tasty, complex imperial stout makes its mark
- 10:14 Clinton's turn: Guide to the Democratic National Convention
- 10:08 Weak hands, weak body? Millennials lose grips
- 10:06 Nepal's prime minister resigns after losing majority support
- 09:49 The Latest: Obama criticizes Trump for his NATO comments
- 09:46 Dancing, drugs, extremism _ multiple lives of Nice attacker
- 09:46 The Latest: Albania detains 19 Afghans, 1 suspected smuggler
- 09:46 Senate OKs bill to toughen state anti-human trafficking laws
- 09:27 Steelers offseason report: Healthy Pittsburgh squad is a dangerous one