Bing closing graft-filled Detroit Department of Human Services
In a move designed to improve services for struggling Detroiters, Mayor Dave Bing is forfeiting more than $72 million in federal money intended to help poor people because a city department showed it can't handle the funds effectively, his administration said Tuesday.
Bing is shutting down the Department of Human Services on the advice of state and federal officials who became alarmed after investigating it, following a series of Free Press stories that chronicled corruption and... read more
Most read news
- 14:49 Key West man wins Key lime pie-eating contest in 1 minute, 18 seconds
- 14:47 Tunisia's leader calls for emergency, country 'not safe'
- 14:29 Some California cities cancel fireworks because of drought
- 14:26 Women in trouble after Snapchat photos show them riding sea turtle
- 14:21 Hope Solo played it fair in 2011 vs. Japan, but would she now?
- 14:11 Quinn finds the funny in race relations
- 14:11 Deputies: Woman allegedly spotted throwing kittens out car window
- 14:02 Jelena Jankovic stuns defending champ Petra Kvitova at Wimbledon
- 13:55 End of an era as Chicago pit trading ceases
- 13:54 Matt Stonie tops Joey Chestnut in hot dog eating contest