Bing closing graft-filled Detroit Department of Human Services
In a move designed to improve services for struggling Detroiters, Mayor Dave Bing is forfeiting more than $72 million in federal money intended to help poor people because a city department showed it can't handle the funds effectively, his administration said Tuesday.
Bing is shutting down the Department of Human Services on the advice of state and federal officials who became alarmed after investigating it, following a series of Free Press stories that chronicled corruption and... read more
Most read news
- 02:54 Aurora Swim Club clams Alaska Junior Olympic swim championship
- 02:19 Death toll in Nepal surges amid hunt for survivors
- 02:16 Former military officials back same-sex marriage
- 01:41 Tuxes, high heels and corsages: Bethel prom a community affair
- 01:35 Did Vladimir Putin party in Seward during Exxon Valdez spill cleanup?
- 01:11 Teacher dies in crash with pair on way to prom
- 00:39 Gay marriage splits Ohio religious community
- 00:36 Raptors have plenty of questions but 'no answer' after stunning sweep
- 23:46 Stagecoach brings country to Coachella site
- 23:29 Ask the Captain: How flight simulators enhance safety