Bing closing graft-filled Detroit Department of Human Services
In a move designed to improve services for struggling Detroiters, Mayor Dave Bing is forfeiting more than $72 million in federal money intended to help poor people because a city department showed it can't handle the funds effectively, his administration said Tuesday.
Bing is shutting down the Department of Human Services on the advice of state and federal officials who became alarmed after investigating it, following a series of Free Press stories that chronicled corruption and mismanagement.
Council members threatened to challenge the department's closing at a meeting Tuesday. They said... read more
- 04:18 Sons of drug lord 'El Chapo' thought to be behind deadly ambush on...
- 03:30 White House corrects itself after transcript puts Jerusalem in Israel
- 03:18 City Hall’s lobby loot questioned
- 03:07 Drowned boy’s family presses city for info
- 03:07 Prouty’s backers cry foul on DPH
- 03:07 Despite Hillary Fan Club snickers, Donald’s claim rings true
- 02:59 Duffy throws 5 TDs in Red Mountain victory over Dobson
- 02:52 Boston booze tax heads for council vote
- 02:52 DA joins probe of Gloucester police chief
- 02:42 Trump's habit of fuming over slights comes at political cost