Bing closing graft-filled Detroit Department of Human Services
In a move designed to improve services for struggling Detroiters, Mayor Dave Bing is forfeiting more than $72 million in federal money intended to help poor people because a city department showed it can't handle the funds effectively, his administration said Tuesday.
Bing is shutting down the Department of Human Services on the advice of state and federal officials who became alarmed after investigating it, following a series of Free Press stories that chronicled corruption and... read more
Most read news
- 18:58 Ann Clark open to serving as permanent CMS superintendent
- 18:49 Alaska from Scratch: Lemon Dutch baby pancakes -- a sunny dessert...
- 18:46 Remains confirmed as those of missing Saks man
- 18:46 Local programs partner to recover graduates
- 18:43 Duke Blue Devils vs. UConn Huskies: Live updates
- 18:43 Charlotte Hornets at Philadelphia 76ers 12.19.14: Fridays...
- 18:40 South Korean firm selects Statesville for 1st U.S. plant
- 18:17 Charlotte Hornets Gameday
- 18:08 Tom Sorensen: I'm back, and thankful
- 17:31 25 titles added to National Film Registry, including ‘Saving...