Bing closing graft-filled Detroit Department of Human Services
In a move designed to improve services for struggling Detroiters, Mayor Dave Bing is forfeiting more than $72 million in federal money intended to help poor people because a city department showed it can't handle the funds effectively, his administration said Tuesday.
Bing is shutting down the Department of Human Services on the advice of state and federal officials who became alarmed after investigating it, following a series of Free Press stories that chronicled corruption and mismanagement.
Council members threatened to challenge the department's closing at a meeting Tuesday. They said... read more
- 08:01 9 Tips for Creating an Awesome Brand
- 08:01 4 Truths Found in Fighting for Passion
- 07:59 Social media-based HIV testing finds new cases
- 07:59 China regulator to launch drug pricing probe in June
- 07:56 Man sentenced for killing infant son for insurance money
- 07:56 Are you shrinking along with the middle class?
- 07:49 Pharmacy group CEO among witnesses today in Hubbard case
- 07:46 Police officers comfort child after mom arrested for DUI
- 07:17 Pooped-out reporter poops: Craziest crimes of the week
- 07:11 NYC man gets prison for calling 50 fake emergencies to 911