Bing closing graft-filled Detroit Department of Human Services
In a move designed to improve services for struggling Detroiters, Mayor Dave Bing is forfeiting more than $72 million in federal money intended to help poor people because a city department showed it can't handle the funds effectively, his administration said Tuesday.
Bing is shutting down the Department of Human Services on the advice of state and federal officials who became alarmed after investigating it, following a series of Free Press stories that chronicled corruption and... read more
Most read news
- 01:08 AbbVie buys cancer drugmaker Pharmacyclics in $21B deal
- 01:01 Hillary Clinton asks State Dept. to release her e-mails
- 00:42 How romantic can marriage be in a historical?
- 00:37 Alaska Sports Hall of Fame to welcome new class Thursday
- 00:37 Class 3A Western Conference tourney tips off Thursday at Dimond
- 00:37 For UAA men's basketball team, it's all about survival
- 00:23 Romance readers look for the 'whoa' moment
- 00:11 Sheriffs sue Colorado over legal marijuana
- 23:53 Westbrook records 4th straight triple-double in OT win
- 23:47 'Officer Friendly': Fallen Ga. detective remembered