Bing closing graft-filled Detroit Department of Human Services
In a move designed to improve services for struggling Detroiters, Mayor Dave Bing is forfeiting more than $72 million in federal money intended to help poor people because a city department showed it can't handle the funds effectively, his administration said Tuesday.
Bing is shutting down the Department of Human Services on the advice of state and federal officials who became alarmed after investigating it, following a series of Free Press stories that chronicled corruption and mismanagement.
Council members threatened to challenge the department's closing at a meeting Tuesday. They said... read more
- 06:22 A father's mission: How one man developed a drug to save the lives...
- 06:09 Marine studies team frees 2 sea turtles tangled in equipment
- 06:09 Libertarian candidates Johnson, Weld rally backers in Boston
- 06:08 Germany expects fewer than 300,000 refugees this year
- 05:56 The Latest: Italy probes building codes after deadly quake
- 05:56 Turkish bombing kills at least 20 in northern Syria
- 05:29 Pakistan says 4 militants behind 2009 cricket attack killed
- 05:20 Trump vows to deport 'criminal illegal immigrants ... within one...
- 05:02 Regulator: Dakota Access pipeline worker killed in accident
- 05:02 Olympic gymnast Laurie Hernandez returns home to fanfare