Bing closing graft-filled Detroit Department of Human Services
In a move designed to improve services for struggling Detroiters, Mayor Dave Bing is forfeiting more than $72 million in federal money intended to help poor people because a city department showed it can't handle the funds effectively, his administration said Tuesday.
Bing is shutting down the Department of Human Services on the advice of state and federal officials who became alarmed after investigating it, following a series of Free Press stories that chronicled corruption and... read more
Most read news
- 06:18 Australia's closing of Aboriginal communities sparks protests
- 05:41 Malaysia finds graves of suspected trafficking victims
- 03:21 Sunday, holiday TV: 'Battle Creek,' concert
- 03:14 Thousands evacuated in Nepal after landslide
- 03:02 An embarrassment of political riches, in Alaska and Outside
- 02:18 On verge of NBA FInals, Warriors still think they can be better
- 02:04 South girls win CIC soccer title
- 02:04 Banner day for South girls, rare tie for Dimond boys in CIC track
- 01:10 ACS sweeps 1-2-3A, Kenai and Kodiak win 4A titles at Region III...
- 00:49 Prado's walk-off single snaps Marlins' losing streak to beat Orioles