Bing closing graft-filled Detroit Department of Human Services
In a move designed to improve services for struggling Detroiters, Mayor Dave Bing is forfeiting more than $72 million in federal money intended to help poor people because a city department showed it can't handle the funds effectively, his administration said Tuesday.
Bing is shutting down the Department of Human Services on the advice of state and federal officials who became alarmed after investigating it, following a series of Free Press stories that chronicled corruption and... read more
Most read news
- 12:32 Coal miners stuck in the middle of Ukraine's war
- 11:47 EU confirms North Korea invite for rights visit
- 11:45 Levine could get $13.5 million exit pay if Dollar General buys...
- 11:44 Weekend TV: Michael Feinstein on PBS, 'Simpsons,' 'CSI'
- 11:43 Texas A&M vs. UL-Monroe: Everything you need to know, including...
- 11:31 Obama's day: An economic speech on Halloween
- 11:29 Wal-Mart ups ante on holiday shopping
- 11:26 Teacher turnover dips slightly at CMS
- 11:23 Richardson allows watering every other week
- 11:21 USFK: Troops cannot pay for the companionship of 'juicy girls'