Bing closing graft-filled Detroit Department of Human Services
In a move designed to improve services for struggling Detroiters, Mayor Dave Bing is forfeiting more than $72 million in federal money intended to help poor people because a city department showed it can't handle the funds effectively, his administration said Tuesday.
Bing is shutting down the Department of Human Services on the advice of state and federal officials who became alarmed after investigating it, following a series of Free Press stories that chronicled corruption and... read more
Most read news
- 10:49 Search continues for teenager suspected in deadly shooting in...
- 10:46 'Downton' producer open to possibility of big-screen film
- 10:44 New businesses licensed in Central Florida last week
- 10:34 Sassafras closes Winter Park Candy shop
- 10:27 08/03 Patents
- 10:27 Insider Trading
- 10:26 Thousands evacuated as wildfires race through California
- 10:23 Amy and Sen. Schumer to tackle gun violence
- 10:20 Dad told deputies drug money supported kids, report alleges
- 10:01 US Senate to vote Monday on defunding Planned Parenthood