Bing closing graft-filled Detroit Department of Human Services
In a move designed to improve services for struggling Detroiters, Mayor Dave Bing is forfeiting more than $72 million in federal money intended to help poor people because a city department showed it can't handle the funds effectively, his administration said Tuesday.
Bing is shutting down the Department of Human Services on the advice of state and federal officials who became alarmed after investigating it, following a series of Free Press stories that chronicled corruption and... read more
Most read news
- 18:10 Bear cub strolls through Oregon drug store
- 17:45 NBA owners fail to pass lottery reform
- 17:42 Authorities capture escaped inmate from South Carolina
- 17:14 Developers sue Davidson over affordable-housing mandate
- 17:10 Tempe craft distillery partners with Four Peaks
- 17:09 Austin Davis as the next Kurt Warner, Tom Brady?
- 17:09 1st and 10: High school football story lines for Week 9
- 16:56 Your guide to the Southwest Valley local elections
- 16:56 Job fairs offer opportunities ... but what kind?
- 16:43 Job fairs offer opportunities ... but what kind?