Oil Rig Sinks Off Russia; 49 Missing
Oil Rig Sinks Off Russia; 49 Missing MOSCOW - An oil drilling rig that was being towed in a storm sank Sunday off the coast of Sakhalin Island with 67 people on board, most of whom are still missing.
Connect With Us on Twitter Follow @nytimesworld for international breaking news and headlines.
Rescuers found 14 survivors, 4 bodies and two life rafts floating empty in the frigid Pacific Ocean. The rig was not operating when it listed in high waves and sank.
The two ships that had been towing... read more
Most read news
- 03:16 Q&A: What is known about London attack
- 03:15 Blackhawks' Hossa unfazed by Red Wings fans' booing
- 03:15 Blackhawks' Shaw told to stay out of penalty box in Game 4
- 03:15 Blackhawks shuffle power-play lineup
- 03:15 Brian Urlacher announces retirement via Twitter, but legacy on and...
- 03:15 Brian Urlacher retires: Bears great says he's leaving NFL
- 03:15 David Haugh: No athlete since Jordan symbolized Chicago more than...
- 03:15 David Haugh: Next stop for Brian Urlacher is Canton
- 03:14 Q&A: What is known about London attack
- 03:14 O.C. hate crimes fall; attacks based on sexual orientation rise