Oil Rig Sinks Off Russia; 49 Missing
Oil Rig Sinks Off Russia; 49 Missing MOSCOW - An oil drilling rig that was being towed in a storm sank Sunday off the coast of Sakhalin Island with 67 people on board, most of whom are still missing.
Connect With Us on Twitter Follow @nytimesworld for international breaking news and headlines.
Rescuers found 14 survivors, 4 bodies and two life rafts floating empty in the frigid Pacific Ocean. The rig was not operating when it listed in high waves and sank.
The two ships that had been towing... read more
Most read news
- 05:22 Radiation leak at Japan lab; small impact expected
- 05:19 Balloons bring smiles in war-weary Afghan capital
- 05:19 Radiation leak at Japan lab; small impact expected
- 05:17 Balloons bring smiles in war-weary Afghan capital
- 05:14 First he's Mr. Whatever, then he asks her on a date
- 05:09 2-child limit for Muslims in parts of Myanmar
- 05:05 2-child limit for Muslims in parts of Myanmar
- 05:00 Prattville business owner held on fraud, theft charges
- 04:10 Kings need to stop the power
- 03:42 Getting it right always tricky at Indianapolis 500