Philippine troops kill 3 militants, rescue trader
MANILA, Philippines-Dozens of army troops killed three Abu Sayyaf militants and rescued a kidnap victim Monday in a clash in the southern Philippines, officials said.
The rescued businesswoman, Luisa Galvez, an army soldier and at least seven militants were wounded in the gunbattle that raged in a hinterland village near Sumisip town on Basilan island, regional military spokesman Lt. Col. Randolph Cabangbang said.
Three platoons of army scout rangers were searching for gunmen reported by villagers when they stumbled on an undetermined number of Abu Sayyaf militants, setting off a clash that... read more
- 07:36 Venezuela turmoil may alter region's energy landscape
- 07:22 Charter will drop data caps, but they exist elsewhere
- 07:22 Mid-flight deja vu: 5 brilliant stories this week
- 06:49 How to report a tax cheat and get a reward (it's not easy)
- 06:33 What's new on streaming for May
- 06:33 Books: New and noteworthy
- 06:31 Taking stock of financial markets’ first quarter
- 05:37 Correction officer arrested for pointing gun in parking dispute in...
- 03:51 Report: Powerful explosion in Turkey wounds 9
- 03:40 Hecklers pounce on state Rep. Lyons while addressing crowd in Groton