Rising milk prices shrink profits for Dean Foods, U.S. retailers
Raw milk prices have reached historically high levels, helping push Dean Foods to a first-quarter loss. Some retailers, however, have chosen to absorb the increase rather than risk alienating price-sensitive consumers.
The increase in the base price of a gallon of 2 percent milk across most of the United States has gone up at least 54 cents since last June, said Mary Ledman, who publishes the Daily Dairy Report, based in Libertyville, Ill.
But the price paid by many shoppers has not increased... read more
Most read news
- 04:00 TV tonight: Super Bowl, Puppy Bowl, late shows
- 03:04 Defense does it for No. 2 UAA women's basketball team in rout of...
- 03:04 Kanady, O'Harra rule Besh Cup nordic race in Fairbanks
- 03:04 BYU, Matsunami shine in front of big crowd at UAA gymnastics meet
- 03:04 McGill can't miss as UAA men's basketball team cruises past Simon...
- 03:04 Chugiak storms past Dimond in CIC hockey championship
- 03:04 Aces fall to Idaho 5-2 in final game of series
- 02:26 N.Y. governor: It's time to ban conversion therapy
- 01:54 Bell: Peyton Manning might have fresh Super Bowl look
- 01:29 Moore: Alaska could learn something from the Pentagon's F-35 mess