Rising milk prices shrink profits for Dean Foods, U.S. retailers
Raw milk prices have reached historically high levels, helping push Dean Foods to a first-quarter loss. Some retailers, however, have chosen to absorb the increase rather than risk alienating price-sensitive consumers.
The increase in the base price of a gallon of 2 percent milk across most of the United States has gone up at least 54 cents since last June, said Mary Ledman, who publishes the Daily Dairy Report, based in Libertyville, Ill.
But the price paid by many shoppers has not increased... read more
Most read news
- 23:41 Carolina Panthers fall to Saints 28-10 in key NFC South game
- 23:32 Panthers vs. Saints: Michael Persinger's three takeaways
- 23:14 Our experts' Week 10 college football picks: TCU-WVU, UT-Tech, more
- 23:10 Exclusive: Inside the hottest new ride at sea
- 22:29 Fluor CEO remains bullish on company’s oil and gas prospects
- 22:11 Prep Results 10.30.14
- 22:05 Obama pushes Maine Rep. Michaud for governor
- 22:05 Hagan, Tillis spar over economy
- 21:23 Rawlings: Convention center expansion must be part of broader review
- 21:13 The Public Record: October 24, 2014 - October 30, 2014