Rising milk prices shrink profits for Dean Foods, U.S. retailers
Raw milk prices have reached historically high levels, helping push Dean Foods to a first-quarter loss. Some retailers, however, have chosen to absorb the increase rather than risk alienating price-sensitive consumers.
The increase in the base price of a gallon of 2 percent milk across most of the United States has gone up at least 54 cents since last June, said Mary Ledman, who publishes the Daily Dairy Report, based in Libertyville, Ill.
But the price paid by many shoppers has not increased... read more
Most read news
- 16:20 Central Florida Zoo started with a rhesus monkey and Sanford...
- 15:50 Doctors offer monthly fee for full access
- 15:50 30 years after slayings of four family members, killer awaits death...
- 15:34 Getting around Wimbledon in underground tunnels
- 15:20 Greeks face only bad choices on eve of historic vote
- 15:14 From lockdown to breakout: How a prison escape and manhunt unfolded
- 15:06 Packers TE Andrew Quarless arrested, charged with firing gun
- 14:49 Key West man wins Key lime pie-eating contest in 1 minute, 18 seconds
- 14:47 Tunisia's leader calls for emergency, country 'not safe'
- 14:26 Women in trouble after Snapchat photos show them riding sea turtle