Rising milk prices shrink profits for Dean Foods, U.S. retailers
Raw milk prices have reached historically high levels, helping push Dean Foods to a first-quarter loss. Some retailers, however, have chosen to absorb the increase rather than risk alienating price-sensitive consumers.
The increase in the base price of a gallon of 2 percent milk across most of the United States has gone up at least 54 cents since last June, said Mary Ledman, who publishes the Daily Dairy Report, based in Libertyville, Ill.
But the price paid by many shoppers has not increased nearly that much.
“I see retailers absorbing the increase here in the Chicagoland,” she said. “It’s... read more
- 03:58 Indonesia readies prison island for drug convict executions
- 03:58 Past mass killings in Japan
- 03:39 2 detained in Nice truck attack investigation
- 03:24 Mom: Warning didn't keep slain son safe at Florida nightclub
- 03:18 Hatred behind troubled Japan knife attacker's rampage
- 03:14 Indianapolis officer shot, suspect dead after chase, gunfire
- 03:11 TV tonight: 'MADtv' is back, 'The Bachelorette'
- 03:08 AB-InBev increases cash offer for SABMiller
- 03:05 Police: Tempe teen killed in accidental shooting
- 02:19 Bernie backers cry for revolt