Rising milk prices shrink profits for Dean Foods, U.S. retailers
Raw milk prices have reached historically high levels, helping push Dean Foods to a first-quarter loss. Some retailers, however, have chosen to absorb the increase rather than risk alienating price-sensitive consumers.
The increase in the base price of a gallon of 2 percent milk across most of the United States has gone up at least 54 cents since last June, said Mary Ledman, who publishes the Daily Dairy Report, based in Libertyville, Ill.
But the price paid by many shoppers has not increased... read more
Most read news
- 05:20 Claims of child sex abuse against ex-British PM Edward Heath
- 03:13 TV tonight: CMA Music Festival, Louganis
- 01:51 14's a crowd at the GOP Voters First Forum
- 01:22 Arts Scene: Chamber music, children's stories, Mexican art
- 00:30 Florida well-represented on weekend UFC card
- 00:23 Alaska children have unique freedoms, but still must learn to...
- 23:17 Price dominant in Toronto debut, Jays beat Twins 5-1
- 23:02 'American Ninja Warrior': Orlando winners
- 22:57 Pimco says SEC examining its total return fund
- 22:36 Father of batboy who died: 'He cared about everyone'