Rising milk prices shrink profits for Dean Foods, U.S. retailers
Raw milk prices have reached historically high levels, helping push Dean Foods to a first-quarter loss. Some retailers, however, have chosen to absorb the increase rather than risk alienating price-sensitive consumers.
The increase in the base price of a gallon of 2 percent milk across most of the United States has gone up at least 54 cents since last June, said Mary Ledman, who publishes the Daily Dairy Report, based in Libertyville, Ill.
But the price paid by many shoppers has not increased... read more
Most read news
- 09:50 Scottish teens proud, passionate about voting
- 09:19 Fire breaks out at family run bakery in uptown Charlotte
- 08:53 Buffer zone agreed on in Ukrainian peace talks
- 08:49 Pope Albania visit showcases Muslim-Christian ties
- 08:32 A dash of spice: Emotional intimacy leads to better sex
- 08:32 Web to Watch: 5 Best videos of the week
- 08:32 Weekend picks for book lovers
- 08:26 Sierra Leone complies with Ebola lockdown
- 08:20 Low interest rates make it a tough time to retire
- 08:20 What to Watch: TIPS have been challenged lately