Rising milk prices shrink profits for Dean Foods, U.S. retailers
Raw milk prices have reached historically high levels, helping push Dean Foods to a first-quarter loss. Some retailers, however, have chosen to absorb the increase rather than risk alienating price-sensitive consumers.
The increase in the base price of a gallon of 2 percent milk across most of the United States has gone up at least 54 cents since last June, said Mary Ledman, who publishes the Daily Dairy Report, based in Libertyville, Ill.
But the price paid by many shoppers has not increased... read more
Most read news
- 09:13 For sale: 2,500 Dutch body bags
- 09:00 Angry Birds maker Rovio to cut jobs
- 08:55 Beijing issues tough commentary on Hong Kong protests
- 08:41 Construction worker rescued in SouthPark area
- 08:37 Fla. officer placed on leave in tasing of woman, 61
- 08:37 Rigged fire hydrant keeps downtown café percolating
- 08:37 Ind. justices tell 'abusive litigant' enough's enough
- 08:37 Suspect in U.Va. missing student case faces hearing
- 08:23 Charlotte Observer Sweet 16 high school football rankings
- 08:10 Friday storms, weekend chill in store for Charlotte