Rising milk prices shrink profits for Dean Foods, U.S. retailers
Raw milk prices have reached historically high levels, helping push Dean Foods to a first-quarter loss. Some retailers, however, have chosen to absorb the increase rather than risk alienating price-sensitive consumers.
The increase in the base price of a gallon of 2 percent milk across most of the United States has gone up at least 54 cents since last June, said Mary Ledman, who publishes the Daily Dairy Report, based in Libertyville, Ill.
But the price paid by many shoppers has not increased... read more
Most read news
- 06:40 Played In/Out: For TCU and UCLA, every other game counts
- 06:40 UCLA rises above criticism — and its crosstown rival
- 06:26 Islamic State group recruits, exploits children
- 06:07 What to Watch on Sunday: Jay Leno receives Mark Twain Prize for Humor
- 05:55 Official: 60 extremist backers from Germany dead
- 05:46 Iran: Nuclear talks may focus on extension soon
- 05:25 Former District of Columbia mayor Marion Barry dies
- 04:00 There's additional local help for insurance marketplace enrollees...
- 03:41 Chugiak's Vannortwick blasts the competition at rifle meet
- 02:46 NFL whip around: What we're watching in Week 12