Rising milk prices shrink profits for Dean Foods, U.S. retailers
Raw milk prices have reached historically high levels, helping push Dean Foods to a first-quarter loss. Some retailers, however, have chosen to absorb the increase rather than risk alienating price-sensitive consumers.
The increase in the base price of a gallon of 2 percent milk across most of the United States has gone up at least 54 cents since last June, said Mary Ledman, who publishes the Daily Dairy Report, based in Libertyville, Ill.
But the price paid by many shoppers has not increased... read more
Most read news
- 02:53 UAA volleyball team slays two nationally ranked opponents
- 02:53 Stewart guides Chugiak to 28-21 football upset of top-ranked West
- 02:36 Shannon Kuhn: Reflections of a wild blueberry pie-making queen
- 02:36 Chris Thompson: AFACT celebrates Medicaid expansion
- 02:36 Wasilla dentist grabs State Fair giant cabbage title with 92-pounder
- 02:12 Luther's three TDs carry Dimond past Eagle River in flag football
- 02:12 Prep swimming: Friday's Cook Inlet Conference results
- 02:12 Big block boosts UAA volleyball team to win over nationally ranked foe
- 02:08 Rafael Nadal falls to Fabio Fognini at U.S. Open
- 01:06 UFC's McGregor calls out both Orlando main eventers