Rising milk prices shrink profits for Dean Foods, U.S. retailers
Raw milk prices have reached historically high levels, helping push Dean Foods to a first-quarter loss. Some retailers, however, have chosen to absorb the increase rather than risk alienating price-sensitive consumers.
The increase in the base price of a gallon of 2 percent milk across most of the United States has gone up at least 54 cents since last June, said Mary Ledman, who publishes the Daily Dairy Report, based in Libertyville, Ill.
But the price paid by many shoppers has not increased... read more
Most read news
- 07:33 Smashing Pumpkins' Corgan looks ahead, not back
- 07:29 Pope boosts Rome's 2024 bid but warns: 'I won't be around'
- 07:29 5 die in Mozambique floods
- 06:57 Sony hack adds to security pressure on companies
- 06:51 'Big Eyes' is a window into real artist's soul
- 06:51 Amy Adams finds herself keen pupil in 'Big Eyes'
- 06:51 Rupert Friend's Quinn fuels 'Homeland' season finale
- 06:51 Clooney slaps media, Hollywood for 'Interview'
- 06:51 'Turner': He huffs and puffs but paints very well
- 06:51 Colbert signs off during 'emotional' night