Rising milk prices shrink profits for Dean Foods, U.S. retailers
Raw milk prices have reached historically high levels, helping push Dean Foods to a first-quarter loss. Some retailers, however, have chosen to absorb the increase rather than risk alienating price-sensitive consumers.
The increase in the base price of a gallon of 2 percent milk across most of the United States has gone up at least 54 cents since last June, said Mary Ledman, who publishes the Daily Dairy Report, based in Libertyville, Ill.
But the price paid by many shoppers has not increased... read more
Most read news
- 19:57 McDonald's gives all-day breakfast a test try
- 18:56 For Tom Ricketts and the Cubs, 'now is the time'
- 18:25 Tennessee close to a deal with Rick Barnes
- 18:14 Toyota unveils cheaper crash avoidance system
- 18:09 PayPal co-founder urges tech CEOs to be wary of Indiana
- 18:09 With Jay Z at the helm, Tidal targets Spotify, Apple
- 18:01 Saudi-led air campaign blunts rebel advance in Yemen
- 17:30 Toms' new limited-edition product helps save lives
- 17:24 How texting could save America's youth
- 17:05 Whistle-blowers, vets' families speak at Tomah hearing