Rising milk prices shrink profits for Dean Foods, U.S. retailers
Raw milk prices have reached historically high levels, helping push Dean Foods to a first-quarter loss. Some retailers, however, have chosen to absorb the increase rather than risk alienating price-sensitive consumers.
The increase in the base price of a gallon of 2 percent milk across most of the United States has gone up at least 54 cents since last June, said Mary Ledman, who publishes the Daily Dairy Report, based in Libertyville, Ill.
But the price paid by many shoppers has not increased... read more
Most read news
- 06:20 Trump denies mocking reporter with disability
- 06:06 Hamilton edges Rosberg in opening practice for Abu Dhabi GP
- 06:06 Former FIFA president Joao Havelange hospitalized in Rio
- 05:24 France remembers Paris attack victims
- 04:52 No. 14 California blows lead, loses 72-58 to San Diego State
- 04:52 Red Bull secures engine deal for 2016
- 04:25 Pope denounces suffering of poor in visit to Kenya slum
- 03:38 Spieth, Scott go in opposite directions at Australian Open
- 03:28 Chinese stocks fall after brokerages probed
- 03:24 Scott slides down Australian Open leaderboard with 73