Virginia woman adjusts to life as triple amputee after contracting rare flesh-eating bacteria and mysteriously falling ill
From her hospital bed, Iva Forney dreamt a man was “cutting off body parts.”
She dreamt she was on a boat with her feet dangling in the water, and they were freezing.
When she woke from a two-week coma at Inova Fairfax Hospital in Virginia, her right hand was amputated and her toes were blue. Doctors would soon cut off both her feet, too.
It had taken just 24 short hours for the 51-year-old bank manager’s limbs to start dying after she was infected with the same bacteria that causes flesh-eating disease.
FACTS ABOUT THE BACTERIA: HOW TO STAY SAFE
“It’s weird, but I was prepared for it... read more
- 14:20 2 charged in death of 15-year-old boy who shielded others
- 14:16 Rebels, residents to evacuate long-besieged Damascus suburb
- 14:16 Cash may convince some smokers to quit
- 14:11 After dog attack, woman gets surgery, man gets arrested in Balch...
- 14:07 Single again, singer Ayla Brown touring Europe
- 14:07 Acclaim for Casey Affleck
- 14:07 Young heroine ‘Kicks’ her way into hearts
- 14:07 Liz Smith: Dennis Hopper's final film -- released at last!
- 14:07 Ryan Lochte diving into DWTS?
- 14:07 Ariana Grande sued for copyright infringement over song 'One Last...