Virginia woman adjusts to life as triple amputee after contracting rare flesh-eating bacteria and mysteriously falling ill
From her hospital bed, Iva Forney dreamt a man was “cutting off body parts.”
She dreamt she was on a boat with her feet dangling in the water, and they were freezing.
When she woke from a two-week coma at Inova Fairfax Hospital in Virginia, her right hand was amputated and her toes were blue. Doctors would soon cut off both her feet, too.
It had taken just 24 short hours for the 51-year-old bank manager’s limbs to start dying after she was infected with the same bacteria that causes flesh-eating disease.
FACTS ABOUT THE BACTERIA: HOW TO STAY SAFE
“It’s weird, but I was prepared for it... read more
- 20:54 Boivin: The mystery surrounding Arizona's Allonzo Trier
- 20:24 9 displaced, firefighter injured in Huntsville apartment fire
- 19:59 More than 100 mostly barefoot inmates escape Haiti lockup,...
- 19:59 Suspected Islamic militants gun down Egyptian army officer
- 18:53 Nevada trooper fatally shoots Glendale man
- 18:52 Officials: 100 mostly barefoot inmates escape Haiti lockup
- 18:30 WikiLeaks: Clinton aides scramble to address alleged mistress...
- 18:17 Jordin Sparks to sing anthem at Phoenix Suns opener
- 18:02 UN envoy asks for Yemen cease-fire extension
- 17:48 Scouting Suns foes in NBA Pacific Division for 2016-17