Wal-Mart’s 1Q earnings up 3 pct, powered by overseas stores; US Walmart sales still weak
Wal-Mart’s 1Q earnings up 3 pct, powered by overseas stores; US Walmart sales still weak NEW YORK - Rising gas prices are adding another obstacle to Wal-Mart Stores Inc.’s campaign to reverse a two-year U.S. sales slump.
Strong overseas revenue, growth at Sam’s Club and Wal-Mart’s specialty - cost-cutting - pushed the world’s largest retailer’s net income up 3 percent in the first quarter, beating Wall Street expectations.
But business at home is still soft. Wal-Mart says it is... read more
Most read news
- 08:31 North Dakota oil refinery about 3/4 constructed
- 08:29 Germany-Gibraltar match moved amid policing spat
- 08:29 Dolphins' Pouncey, Moreno begin camp on PUP list
- 08:25 Closing arguments set for Monday in Demarius Reed slaying
- 08:21 Steve Smith ready to begin the next chapter with the Ravens
- 08:21 For Barkley, Zamperini a source of inspiration
- 08:21 NFL teams are cornering the market with bigger defensive backs
- 07:23 Pot may be legal, but homeowner agreements can ban
- 07:17 Woman bites would-be purse-snatcher in SW Fla.
- 07:01 AIDS researcher: Rebels delayed cure with missile