100-year-old Iowa WWII vet honors West Point graduate grandson
Skip in SkipxEmbed
CLOSE John Neu, 100, of Des Moines, pins the second lieutenant bars on the shoulder of his grandson, Joseph Anchondo of Lockhart, Texas, in a family ceremony at the Iowa World War II Memorial in Des Moines.
The old soldier's hip hurt and he was unsteady on his feet.
Yet John Neu, a month shy of his 101st birthday, rose from his wheelchair on a sweltering Monday evening in front of the Iowa World War II Memorial at East 13th and East Walnut streets.
Neu steadied himself on his walker as his grandson, Joseph Anchondo, took a knee beside him.
Anchondo wore... read more
- 01:43 Trump tries to change focus of border debate
- 01:05 Trump advises GOP: Quit wasting time on immigration.
- 20:58 OâRourke to Democrats: Go to Trump country
- 20:15 Julian Castro says family separation issue far from over
- 18:24 Sylvester Turner fires up Texas Democrats at party convention
- 18:24 Does the Democratic Party have the talent, money to carry the day?
- 17:01 Immigration turmoil widens political divide, turns into political...
- 16:46 First lady's 'don't care' jacket is a gift to memers online
- 16:27 Texas budget board asks state agencies to slash 10 percent from...
- 15:43 Mayor Turner names new finance director for city of Houston