100-year-old Iowa WWII vet honors West Point graduate grandson
Skip in SkipxEmbed
CLOSE John Neu, 100, of Des Moines, pins the second lieutenant bars on the shoulder of his grandson, Joseph Anchondo of Lockhart, Texas, in a family ceremony at the Iowa World War II Memorial in Des Moines.
The old soldier's hip hurt and he was unsteady on his feet.
Yet John Neu, a month shy of his 101st birthday, rose from his wheelchair on a sweltering Monday evening in front of the Iowa World War II Memorial at East 13th and East Walnut streets.
Neu steadied himself on his walker as his grandson, Joseph Anchondo, took a knee beside him.
Anchondo wore... read more
- 19:28 Barton to go mum over disclosed photo, citing probe
- 19:28 Republican push tax plan hard, but voters seem uninterested
- 19:28 AP source: Flynn lawyers make a break with Trump team
- 18:34 Detroit Lions look like fried turkeys against Minnesota Vikings
- 18:34 Bruce Pearl still refusing to interview with Auburn officials and...
- 18:34 University of Louisville is considering doing away with the...
- 17:43 Thanksgiving Day temperature climbs to 87 degrees, tying all-time...
- 17:14 Coyotes will be without goalie Antti Raanta for at least the next...
- 16:27 Civilian Phoenix police assistants to start handling some patrol calls
- 16:04 University of Louisville is considering doing away with the...