100-year-old Iowa WWII vet honors West Point graduate grandson
Skip in SkipxEmbed
CLOSE John Neu, 100, of Des Moines, pins the second lieutenant bars on the shoulder of his grandson, Joseph Anchondo of Lockhart, Texas, in a family ceremony at the Iowa World War II Memorial in Des Moines.
The old soldier's hip hurt and he was unsteady on his feet.
Yet John Neu, a month shy of his 101st birthday, rose from his wheelchair on a sweltering Monday evening in front of the Iowa World War II Memorial at East 13th and East Walnut streets.
Neu steadied himself on his walker as his grandson, Joseph Anchondo, took a knee beside him.
Anchondo wore... read more
- 18:02 Arizona Wildcats release mens basketball schedule for 2017-18
- 17:58 John Kelly photographed with his head in hands during Trump speech,...
- 17:45 Brophy Prep's Jaxson Baker commits to Central Arkansas for basketball
- 17:18 Amazon rejects Tucson's gift of a 21-foot saguaro cactus
- 17:12 Moore: Don't look now, but Arizona Diamondbacks could be on another...
- 16:58 Winners and losers in GOP's last-ditch health overhaul
- 16:43 Fatal stabbing closes Thomas Road east of I-17 in Phoenix
- 15:54 Appeals court blocks San Francisco warning law for soda ads
- 15:00 FDA OKs Glaxo's inhaler, first one to combine 3 medicines
- 14:45 Ahwatukee icon moves as church makes way for South Mountain Freeway