100-year-old Iowa WWII vet honors West Point graduate grandson
Skip in SkipxEmbed
CLOSE John Neu, 100, of Des Moines, pins the second lieutenant bars on the shoulder of his grandson, Joseph Anchondo of Lockhart, Texas, in a family ceremony at the Iowa World War II Memorial in Des Moines.
The old soldier's hip hurt and he was unsteady on his feet.
Yet John Neu, a month shy of his 101st birthday, rose from his wheelchair on a sweltering Monday evening in front of the Iowa World War II Memorial at East 13th and East Walnut streets.
Neu steadied himself on his walker as his grandson, Joseph Anchondo, took a knee beside him.
Anchondo wore... read more
- 00:43 Mnuchin expresses optimism trade standoffs can be resolved
- 00:22 Birthday boy Zack Godley picks Diamondbacks up to lead win over Padres
- 00:08 Trash talk rules the day ahead of Larry Fitzgerald Celebrity...
- 22:00 'Family' and sense of 'brotherhood' has Diamondbacks picking up...
- 21:38 Moore: What happens when Larry Fitzgerald takes on a bozo sports...
- 20:07 Intriguing Arizona high school spring football story lines
- 18:07 The senators Trump will watch as the Pompeo confirmation fight unfolds
- 18:06 RHP Matt Koch earns another start in Diamondbacks rotation
- 17:27 Arizona Cardinals GM Steve Keim and coach Steve Wilks forming a...
- 16:54 Iranian foreign minister wants "respect" from US