7 dead when electrical wire falls on Nigerian gathering
WARRI, Nigeria – Police in Nigeria say seven people are dead after a live electrical wire fell onto a gathering of people watching football, but residents say the death toll is higher.
Cross River state police spokeswoman Irene Ugbo says another 10 people are critically injured after the wire fell on the roof of a football viewing center in Calabar on Thursday night.
Resident Ukeme Joseph puts the death toll at 20 instead, saying more than 80 people were crammed inside at the time.
The Port Harcourt Electricity Distribution Company has not commented on the incident, but authorities have... read more
- 11:41 Reports of man with gun near Bostrom High School in Phoenix prompts...
- 11:36 House approves stopgap spending bill to avert shutdown
- 11:36 Trump signs executive order expanding drilling in Arctic, Atlantic...
- 11:32 Reports of man with gun near Phoenix school prompts lockdown
- 11:26 The Latest: Death penalty described as red line for Turkey
- 11:26 Tombstone of famed rabbi damaged in Czech town of Prostejov
- 11:19 Tillerson eyes cutting 2,300 jobs at State Department
- 11:17 Shocking Guatemala video shows car plowing through protesters
- 11:17 Massachusetts teen survives falling 200 feet off cliff in Switzerland
- 11:15 UK jury convicts doctor of performing unnecessary surgeries