A leader of South African student protests is denied bail
JOHANNESBURG – A South African student leader who was arrested for alleged violence and intimidation during university student protests for free education has been denied bail.
Students and university workers gathered at a Johannesburg courthouse on Wednesday to support Mcebo Dlamini, a former student council president at the University of the Witwatersrand. The next hearing in his case is Nov. 15.
News24, a South African media outlet, showed video of Dlamini saying before the bail ruling that he is a "political activist" and that student protests must continue.
Protests that... read more
- 18:14 Game Day: Phoenix Suns take on Cavaliers in Cleveland
- 17:58 Phoenix Rising FC set for home opener for OKC Energy
- 17:43 QB Verlon Reed Jr., ready to return for Arizona Rattlers with 1st...
- 17:41 Trump says administration will ban bump stock devices
- 17:13 Protests erupt in Poland over plan to tighten abortion law
- 16:06 Something to brag about? ASU beat five teams contending for a...
- 15:52 Jets emerging as 'serious' contender to sign Ndamukong Suh, per report
- 15:41 Rochester Amerks 'humble' legend Dick Gamble dies
- 15:21 Arizona Cardinals NFL draft history: A look at the defensive backs
- 14:55 NFL players: Study to detect CTE markers in the living needs you