A leader of South African student protests is denied bail
JOHANNESBURG – A South African student leader who was arrested for alleged violence and intimidation during university student protests for free education has been denied bail.
Students and university workers gathered at a Johannesburg courthouse on Wednesday to support Mcebo Dlamini, a former student council president at the University of the Witwatersrand. The next hearing in his case is Nov. 15.
News24, a South African media outlet, showed video of Dlamini saying before the bail ruling that he is a "political activist" and that student protests must continue.
Protests that... read more
- 00:51 Anti-Trump images become big business for DC projectionist
- 00:27 Trump looks to Brennan for a foil in Russia probe spat
- 19:00 Trump elevates Brennan in proxy fight over Mueller probe
- 17:49 Watergate wisdom? Cohen lawyer turns to Nixon turncoat
- 17:16 AP EXPLAINS: Trump tweets stir up ghosts of McCarthy, Nixon
- 16:45 The Latest: Trump notes border agent's 'perfect English'
- 16:13 Melania Trump planning solo international swing to Africa
- 15:04 Trump honors federal immigration officials at White House
- 14:27 AP sources: Prosecutors preparing charges against Cohen
- 13:13 Giuliani clarifies his 'truth isn't truth' puzzler