A leader of South African student protests is denied bail
JOHANNESBURG — A South African court on Wednesday denied bail to a student leader who was arrested for alleged violence and intimidation during university student protests for free education.
Students and university workers gathered at a Johannesburg courthouse to support Mcebo Dlamini, a former student council president at the University of the Witwatersrand in Johannesburg. The next hearing in his case is Nov. 15.
News24, a South African media outlet, showed video of Dlamini saying before the bail ruling that he is a "political activist," not a criminal, and that student... read more
- 10:24 Teddy Bridgewater 'excited' about joining the Jets, but will he be...
- 10:08 Donors raise $560 million for Gaza water treatment plant
- 09:56 Austin police investigating suspicious package FedEx facility near...
- 09:50 Texas water board withdraws application for $1.8M grants for flood...
- 07:34 City Council to call election to replace Larry Green
- 00:55 First lady to hold first public event on cyberbullying
- 00:49 GOP leaders have yet to move to protect special counsel
- 00:49 In NH and Iowa, Trump eyes 2020 re-election as midterms loom
- 00:21 Quick challenge for Mississippi's 15-week abortion ban
- 23:40 Moore: Kevin Sumlin looks ready as spring practice, new era begin...