Abbott, local officials in new fight over Harvey money
AUSTIN -- Local officials in Houston and dozens of Gulf Coast jurisdictions devastated by Hurricane Harvey on Wednesday asked the state to tap its Rainy Day Fund savings account to pay for billions in disaster mitigation projects, the latest political fight to erupt over state funding.
Gov. Greg Abbott immediately responded with a letter of his own to Houston: Stop complaining. Plenty of money is available, but you haven't applied for any of it.
In addition, he told Houston that of the $50 million the state lent it last September to cover emergency costs, the city has spent less than $5... read more
- 01:02 Congressional leaders get briefings on Russia probe
- 17:04 'It's about time': Trump pardons late boxer Jack Johnson
- 16:13 Ted Cruz says injured Santa Fe students told him 'donât take our...
- 16:01 Democrat gubernatorial candidate Valdez owes $12K in overdue...
- 15:27 Trump awards Medal of Honor to Navy SEAL in Afghan assault
- 14:45 Stormy Daniels' lawyer seeks permission to depose Trump