Among Vols' 2017 NCAA violations, Rick Barnes used own money to boost assistant's pay
CLOSE Tennessee coach Rick Barnes met with the media Monday
Tennessee men's basketball coach Rick Barnes thought assistant Desmond Oliver deserved more money than he was making, so Barnes reached into his own pocket to supplement Oliver's pay.
“It was important to me that Des Oliver made the same amount of money as” fellow assistant Michael Schwartz, Barnes told USA TODAY Network - Tennessee. “I just felt those two positions needed to be equal. They felt it wasn't in the budget. I just said, ‘I am going to pay it myself.'”
Barnes' good-will gesture resulted in an NCAA Level III violation of... read more
- 08:20 The Latest: Trump defends Putin summit, vows 'big results'
- 06:45 Democrat Kim Olson has more cash, less debt than Agriculture...
- 06:45 Texas Senate panel meets today to discuss mass shootings in schools
- 05:05 Ex-FBI chief Comey urges voters to support Democrats in fall
- 04:34 Trump backs off siding with Russia over US intelligence
- 00:41 Trump backs off siding with Russia over US intelligence
- 22:13 Where Texas politicians stand on marijuana
- 17:35 Trump blames 'double negative' for furor over Putin meeting
- 17:21 Lights go out during Trump statement at the White House