Among Vols' 2017 NCAA violations, Rick Barnes used own money to boost assistant's pay
CLOSE Tennessee coach Rick Barnes met with the media Monday
Tennessee men's basketball coach Rick Barnes thought assistant Desmond Oliver deserved more money than he was making, so Barnes reached into his own pocket to supplement Oliver's pay.
“It was important to me that Des Oliver made the same amount of money as” fellow assistant Michael Schwartz, Barnes told USA TODAY Network - Tennessee. “I just felt those two positions needed to be equal. They felt it wasn't in the budget. I just said, ‘I am going to pay it myself.'”
Barnes' good-will gesture resulted in an NCAA Level III violation of... read more
- 23:18 Joe Biden says Trump threatening America's role as a scientific leader
- 22:52 Police: 80-year-old man missing in Surprise
- 22:38 'Our mission is to unite': Phoenix Chinese Week festival celebrates...
- 21:56 Ex-wife of former White House aide says Hatch has apologized
- 20:39 Police investigate officer-involved shooting at Scottsdale Fashion...
- 18:43 Diamondbacks hope bats can thrive minus J.D. Martinez
- 18:06 Police: Third Arizona student arrested in 2 days after bringing gun...
- 17:31 Dominant NL West, 'Babe Ruth of Japan' highlight 2018 Cactus League
- 16:45 More access sought for Border Patrol on federal land near border
- 16:45 Officials: Man shot by Mesa police has died