Angels make it close but fall to Reds, 5-4
Brandon Phillips hit a three-run homer in his new role as Cincinnati's cleanup hitter, and Joey Votto drove in the winning run with a ninth-inning single Wednesday night, rallying the Reds to a 5-4 victory over the Los Angeles Angels.
They've split the first two games of the first interleague series to open a season.
Votto's first hit of the season off left-hander Scott Downs (0-1) deflected off the glove of first baseman Albert Pujols and rolled into the outfield, allowing Shin-Soo Choo to score from second base. Choo reached when he was hit by a pitch and advanced on a sacrifice.
Votto... read more
- 08:29 The Latest: US says it's maintaining pressure on North Korea
- 07:56 Is Andrew White running for Texas 'govorner'?
- 04:08 Missed chances add up as Diamondbacks fall to Giants
- 03:17 Ahead of 420, advocates and critics reflect on pot in the US
- 02:52 Estrella Foothills softball pours in 19 runs in win over Thunderbird
- 01:01 Trade issues expose the limits of Trump-Abe 'bromance'
- 00:53 Trump leaves open possibility of bailing on meeting with Kim
- 00:50 Desert Mountain baseball uses big 4th inning, errors to crush...
- 21:39 Diamondbacks' Matt Koch will get first crack at replacing Taijuan...
- 21:10 The Latest: Judge sets Friday hearing in Stormy Daniels case