AP FACT CHECK: Trump wrongly claims GOP can hold top court
WASHINGTON (AP) — President Donald Trump is urging voters to back Republicans in the midterm elections, saying the party "must ALWAYS hold the Supreme Court." But the Supreme Court, while shaped by political changes, is the unelected branch of government that can't be held by any party.
Trump was responding Wednesday to an op-ed column in The New York Times written by retired Justice John Paul Stevens, who called for the repeal of the Second Amendment to allow for gun control legislation.
A look at Trump's tweet and its accuracy:
TRUMP: "THE SECOND AMENDMENT WILL NEVER BE... read more
- 16:25 In Iowa, McAuliffe says he's not ruling out 2020 campaign
- 15:44 Trump to visit North Carolina to survey Florence impact
- 14:21 White House releases new biodefense strategy
- 14:01 The Latest: Trump considering permanent US troops in Poland
- 13:39 Ted Cruz holds 9 point lead on Beto OâRourke, new poll shows
- 12:39 Trump welcomes president of Poland to the White House