Area employment dips with loss of holiday jobs in January
slideshow Calhoun County lost hundreds of jobs in January as seasonal retail holiday work ended in the area.
According to a Monday report from the Alabama Department of Labor, the county's unemployment rate increased to 7.5 percent in January from 6.3 percent in December. The increase was due to a loss of 400 retail jobs - an expected loss as temporary retail work ended for the Christmas holiday season.
The county's unemployment rate was about the same as last year's January rate of 7.9 percent.
The statistics show counties throughout the state faced similar increases in unemployment in... read more
- 02:40 Early voting begins as midterms season enters final phase
- 00:49 Trump: Allies concerned about declassifying Russia papers
- 23:50 Trump stumping for Sen. Dean Heller in Las Vegas
- 22:18 Dallas County Sheriff's Association endorses Gov. Greg Abbott
- 20:56 Ex-Trump lawyer Cohen providing info in Mueller probe
- 19:01 Suburban women wrestle with Kavanaugh allegations
- 16:00 Melania Trump announces restoration of Blue Room furniture
- 15:10 The Latest: US identifies remains of 2 Korean War soldiers
- 14:56 Trump to address drugs, nuclear weapons in UN speeches