Area employment dips with loss of holiday jobs in January
slideshow Calhoun County lost hundreds of jobs in January as seasonal retail holiday work ended in the area.
According to a Monday report from the Alabama Department of Labor, the county's unemployment rate increased to 7.5 percent in January from 6.3 percent in December. The increase was due to a loss of 400 retail jobs - an expected loss as temporary retail work ended for the Christmas holiday season.
The county's unemployment rate was about the same as last year's January rate of 7.9 percent.
The statistics show counties throughout the state faced similar increases in unemployment in... read more
- 14:48 ASU basketball adds 7-foot big man to talented 2018 recruiting class
- 14:24 Fans react to Arizona Diamondbacks game exclusively on Facebook
- 14:01 NFL mock draft: Where will Arizona high school products get picked...
- 13:43 US to end special protections for 9,000 Nepalese immigrants
- 13:33 'Busy' Trump admits he didn't get wife much for her birthday
- 13:31 More kids have autism, better diagnosis may be the reason
- 12:54 White House takes questions at Take Your Kid to Work Day
- 12:00 White House says Trump to visit UK in July
- 10:50 Mattis: Administration still weighing Iran nuke deal
- 10:50 The Latest: Trump says he did stay overnight in Moscow