Back-to-back claims: Kids were abused in foster care, and DCS dropped the ball
CLOSE Reporter Bob Ortega outlines The Republic's series examining the Arizona Department of Child Safety, the issues with the state's child-welfare system and how to improve it. David Wallace/azcentral.com
In May 2016, a 7-year-old girl was sexually abused while in foster care.
The man who assaulted her, known to her as "Papa Joe," was convicted last year of sexual conduct with a minor and sentenced to 20 years in prison.
Now, her attorney is seeking $22 million from the state for the failure of the state Department of Child Safety to properly vet her foster-home placement and... read more
- 13:31 Trump scolds California for 'no help' in fighting MS-13 gang
- 13:18 Endangered Mexican gray wolf population remained flat in new count
- 13:10 Suspect in fatal triple shooting has died; police unsure if wound...
- 13:04 Toyota dominates Consumer Reports 2018 Top Picks for vehicles
- 13:03 Agent's detailed records show exactly how much players' families...
- 13:01 Pence urges conservatives to 'defend' Trump accomplishments
- 12:53 Tyrod Taylor to Cardinals? Buffalo Bills quarterback predicted to...
- 12:47 ASU women's basketball seeks 20th win vs. No. 8 Oregon
- 12:17 Police evaluating threat made on social media toward St. Mary's...
- 12:03 School district: AG's unlawful electioneering allegation 'misleading'