Beyond baby talk: Varied vocabulary, good grammar helps boost babies' language skills
Using videos or flash cards to teach tots may not be the best idea. Simply talking to babies is key to building crucial language and vocabulary skills but sooner is better, and long sentences are good.
So says research that aims to explain, and help solve, the troubling word gap: Children from more affluent, professional families hear millions more words before they start school than poor kids, leaving the lower-income students at an academic disadvantage that's difficult to overcome.
That gap starts to appear at a younger age than scientists once thought, around 18 months, said... read more
- 16:25 In Iowa, McAuliffe says he's not ruling out 2020 campaign
- 15:44 Trump to visit North Carolina to survey Florence impact
- 14:21 White House releases new biodefense strategy
- 14:01 The Latest: Trump considering permanent US troops in Poland
- 13:39 Ted Cruz holds 9 point lead on Beto OâRourke, new poll shows
- 12:39 Trump welcomes president of Poland to the White House