Beyond baby talk: Varied vocabulary, good grammar helps boost babies' language skills
Using videos or flash cards to teach tots may not be the best idea. Simply talking to babies is key to building crucial language and vocabulary skills but sooner is better, and long sentences are good.
So says research that aims to explain, and help solve, the troubling word gap: Children from more affluent, professional families hear millions more words before they start school than poor kids, leaving the lower-income students at an academic disadvantage that's difficult to overcome.
That gap starts to appear at a younger age than scientists once thought, around 18 months, said... read more
- 20:21 Cardinals plan to exercise fifth-year option for left tackle D.J....
- 19:54 Texas agriculture commissioner errs in interpreting barbecue bill,...
- 19:23 Arizona Cardinals have urgent need for wide receivers behind Larry...
- 19:10 UT ready to sell 300 acres of Houston land
- 18:19 NFL draft: 2018 quarterback class not measuring up to 1983 comparisons
- 17:54 Pence to name Kellogg as national security adviser
- 17:52 Diamondbacks left-hander Patrick Corbin named National League...
- 17:52 ASU NFL draft preview: The intriguing case of Kalen Ballage
- 17:52 Perry's Chubba Purdy stops at-bat to honor national anthem from...
- 16:56 Phoenix Suns have talked to Jason Kidd, Vinny Del Negro about...