Bickley: Bubba Wallace is exactly the kind of star that NASCAR needs
Racial barriers are a tired subject in American sports. They link us to generations of ignorance and hatred, to indigestible failures of the human spirit. They force us to confront the sins of our ancestors, a history we can't escape.
But it's a different story in NASCAR, where racing and racism have co-existed too long and too comfortably. That's why Darrell Wallace Jr. is one of the most important stories on the circuit, a man who refuses to play the role of reluctant pioneer.
“You have to be super strong,” Wallace said. “But I'm going to go out there, do the best I can on the race track... read more
- 17:58 Phoenix Rising FC set for home opener for OKC Energy
- 17:43 QB Verlon Reed Jr., ready to return for Arizona Rattlers with 1st...
- 17:41 Trump says administration will ban bump stock devices
- 17:13 Protests erupt in Poland over plan to tighten abortion law
- 16:06 Something to brag about? ASU beat five teams contending for a...
- 15:52 Jets emerging as 'serious' contender to sign Ndamukong Suh, per report
- 15:41 Rochester Amerks 'humble' legend Dick Gamble dies
- 15:21 Arizona Cardinals NFL draft history: A look at the defensive backs
- 14:55 NFL players: Study to detect CTE markers in the living needs you
- 14:52 First lady recognizes 10 women with global courage awards