Bickley: Bubba Wallace is exactly the kind of star that NASCAR needs
Racial barriers are a tired subject in American sports. They link us to generations of ignorance and hatred, to indigestible failures of the human spirit. They force us to confront the sins of our ancestors, a history we can't escape.
But it's a different story in NASCAR, where racing and racism have co-existed too long and too comfortably. That's why Darrell Wallace Jr. is one of the most important stories on the circuit, a man who refuses to play the role of reluctant pioneer.
“You have to be super strong,” Wallace said. “But I'm going to go out there, do the best I can on the race track... read more
- 00:51 Anti-Trump images become big business for DC projectionist
- 00:27 Trump looks to Brennan for a foil in Russia probe spat
- 19:00 Trump elevates Brennan in proxy fight over Mueller probe
- 17:49 Watergate wisdom? Cohen lawyer turns to Nixon turncoat
- 17:16 AP EXPLAINS: Trump tweets stir up ghosts of McCarthy, Nixon
- 16:45 The Latest: Trump notes border agent's 'perfect English'
- 16:13 Melania Trump planning solo international swing to Africa
- 15:04 Trump honors federal immigration officials at White House
- 14:27 AP sources: Prosecutors preparing charges against Cohen
- 13:13 Giuliani clarifies his 'truth isn't truth' puzzler