Bing closing graft-filled Detroit Department of Human Services
In a move designed to improve services for struggling Detroiters, Mayor Dave Bing is forfeiting more than $72 million in federal money intended to help poor people because a city department showed it can't handle the funds effectively, his administration said Tuesday.
Bing is shutting down the Department of Human Services on the advice of state and federal officials who became alarmed after investigating it, following a series of Free Press stories that chronicled corruption and mismanagement.
Council members threatened to challenge the department's closing at a meeting Tuesday. They said... read more
- 10:18 Trump to bar transgender individuals from armed forces
- 10:04 50 students start down grueling path in Mayo Med School's inaugural...
- 09:45 Arizona Supreme Court lets ruling stand that protects Republic...
- 09:41 Trump to bar transgender individuals from armed forces.
- 08:34 The Latest: Trump blasts Murkowski on health care vote
- 08:23 Britain to ban sale of new diesel, gasoline cars by 2040
- 08:00 Lower global tax rate boosts Ford in second quarter
- 05:05 Trump: Liberation from 'Obamacare nightmare' is close
- 04:30 Parents, former Scouts alarmed by Trump's speech at jamboree
- 04:30 Senate Judiciary Committee withdraws subpoena for Manafort