Bing closing graft-filled Detroit Department of Human Services
In a move designed to improve services for struggling Detroiters, Mayor Dave Bing is forfeiting more than $72 million in federal money intended to help poor people because a city department showed it can't handle the funds effectively, his administration said Tuesday.
Bing is shutting down the Department of Human Services on the advice of state and federal officials who became alarmed after investigating it, following a series of Free Press stories that chronicled corruption and mismanagement.
Council members threatened to challenge the department's closing at a meeting Tuesday. They said... read more
- 21:05 DPS: Serial speeder falls into trap set by Arizona troopers
- 21:01 Trades, not picks, could headline Arizona Coyotes' draft
- 20:47 Hosting congressional picnic, Trump calls for unity
- 20:22 Heat wave boosts burns in Phoenix as pavement, cars scald
- 20:02 Extreme Phoenix heat: Is there an upside?
- 19:42 SBOE members take issue with charter school proposal
- 18:22 FDA approves quicker-to-administer drug for blood cancers
- 17:42 Phoenix boutique offers wedding dresses at fraction of cost
- 17:31 Fascinations tones down sexy products, hopes to lure more customers
- 17:03 Trump's putdown of wind energy whips up a backlash in Iowa