Bing closing graft-filled Detroit Department of Human Services
In a move designed to improve services for struggling Detroiters, Mayor Dave Bing is forfeiting more than $72 million in federal money intended to help poor people because a city department showed it can't handle the funds effectively, his administration said Tuesday.
Bing is shutting down the Department of Human Services on the advice of state and federal officials who became alarmed after investigating it, following a series of Free Press stories that chronicled corruption and mismanagement.
Council members threatened to challenge the department's closing at a meeting Tuesday. They said... read more
- 08:39 Last Minute Gift Ideas for the Jetsetter
- 08:12 Luxury homes: $1.5M Phoenix mansion has hand-scraped hardwood floors
- 08:09 South Carolina serial killer did time for Arizona rape
- 08:09 Advocates use petitions to force Phoenix council votes on passion...
- 08:09 Lead not common in Arizona schools' drinking water, report finds
- 08:09 Arizona law and surrogacy: What you need to know
- 06:45 Baby milk maker orders global recall over salmonella fears
- 06:43 Residents return to rubble as fire crews make progress on San Diego...
- 05:33 Diphtheria deaths in Indonesia spark immunization campaign
- 04:04 Start the clock for Trump, GOP in last push on taxes, budget