Bing closing graft-filled Detroit Department of Human Services
In a move designed to improve services for struggling Detroiters, Mayor Dave Bing is forfeiting more than $72 million in federal money intended to help poor people because a city department showed it can't handle the funds effectively, his administration said Tuesday.
Bing is shutting down the Department of Human Services on the advice of state and federal officials who became alarmed after investigating it, following a series of Free Press stories that chronicled corruption and mismanagement.
Council members threatened to challenge the department's closing at a meeting Tuesday. They said... read more
- 11:53 Ethiopia sentences 2 accused al-Shabab members to prison
- 11:53 Colombia rescuers seek survivors in collapse that killed 10
- 11:53 Germany moves forward on burqa ban for public servants
- 11:50 Facebook and Google got hit with a $100M email scam
- 11:49 Trump signs executive order aimed at expanding drilling in Arctic,...
- 11:45 Germany says reviving G-8 with Russia 'not up for debate'
- 11:41 Reports of man with gun near Bostrom High School in Phoenix prompts...
- 11:36 House approves stopgap spending bill to avert shutdown
- 11:30 'World's heaviest woman' drops 713 pounds – or has she?
- 11:17 Shocking Guatemala video shows car plowing through protesters