Bing closing graft-filled Detroit Department of Human Services
In a move designed to improve services for struggling Detroiters, Mayor Dave Bing is forfeiting more than $72 million in federal money intended to help poor people because a city department showed it can't handle the funds effectively, his administration said Tuesday.
Bing is shutting down the Department of Human Services on the advice of state and federal officials who became alarmed after investigating it, following a series of Free Press stories that chronicled corruption and mismanagement.
Council members threatened to challenge the department's closing at a meeting Tuesday. They said... read more
- 10:01 Kneeling during anthem offends referee, a veteran. He walks out....
- 09:58 John McCain memoir, 'The Restless Wave,' coming in April
- 09:56 94 deaths from plague in Madagascar, UN health agency says
- 09:45 As Congress drafts budget, could lure of oil-drilling revenue put...
- 08:35 An unpaid $7 Waffle House bill leads Louisiana police to a...
- 08:18 Trump blames 'radical Islam' for uptick in crime in Britain
- 07:19 Arizona submits bid for Amazon headquarters. Now we wait
- 06:25 Countries with the highest pollution deaths, mortality rates
- 04:14 Evoking slain son, Kelly defends Trump on condolence calls
- 03:42 AP FACT CHECK: Trump is off the mark about Maria