Brophy boys soccer loses in state final, ending chance to finish No. 1 in country
Phoenix Brophy Prep's 3-0 loss to the Phoenix Desert Vista Thunder in the 6A boys soccer final cost the Broncos more than just a seventh state title.
The loss ended Brophy's perfect season and likely denied them the chance to finish as the No. 1 team in the nation.
Heading into the final, USA TODAY High School Sports had Brophy ranked as the top boys winter soccer team in the country. With a win, they could have claimed that they were the de facto national champions.
MaxPreps had the Broncos as No. 3 in the nation and No. 1 in Arizona.
“It hurts. I think the boys are hurting,” Brophy head... read more
- 16:35 Severe winter storm, heavy snow headed to northern Arizona
- 15:42 Michigan basketball pushes through Ohio State on senior day, 74-62
- 15:33 Austin Hatch dresses on Michigan's senior day as honorary captain
- 15:14 Boy, 3, pulled 'unresponsive' from Queen Creek-area pool
- 14:44 Mets GM Sandy Alderson believes Tim Tebow will eventually play in MLB
- 14:18 Ex-cheerleading coach pleads guilty to attempted molestation
- 13:38 Crash in Phoenix leaves one person dead, police say
- 13:14 The Latest: Trump to meet with Florida high school students
- 12:54 Florida suspect's red flags weren't enough to stop gun buy
- 12:01 Four great new fiction titles for teens and John Green fans