Can making golf more 'fun' stop its decline? Arizona courses are giving it a shot
The Waste Management Phoenix Open has put Arizona in the sporting world's spotlight, with upwards of 600,000 fans attending the tournament and a national television audience tuning in.
But this publicity burst by itself won't remedy longstanding challenges for the golf industry, in Arizona or elsewhere.
With fewer people playing the game than in years past, revenue growth has slowed and the construction of new courses has stalled, both nationwide and in Arizona.
The industry is trying new ways to reinvent itself and attract more participants, especially younger adults and women, partly... read more
- 17:28 Trump-Putin summit leaves wake of confusion, outrage in US
- 17:28 Russian hackers used US online infrastructure against itself
- 16:36 US intel chief stands by assessment of Russian meddling
- 16:36 Trump: Putin made 'incredible offer' in Russian hacking case
- 13:14 Almost half of Fox News viewers think immigrants aren't part of...
- 00:24 Jared Kushner's family firm accused of pushing out tenants