Cancer: Asheville firefighters face job danger even deadlier than fire
CLOSE Cancer is now the leading cause of duty-related death for firefighters. The Asheville Fire Department is working to help reduce the risk.
ASHEVILLE - Will Willis signed up to fight fires and save lives as a volunteer at age 16.
Now 33, a husband and father of four, the Asheville Fire Department engineer has lived every day since then hyperaware of the job’s rewards and its deadly risks. He has dodged countless encounters with death, from smothering flames and smoke, to hazardous chemical spills to a bullet missing his heart by inches.
All in a day’s work.
But the job hazard Willis did... read more
- 10:24 Teddy Bridgewater 'excited' about joining the Jets, but will he be...
- 10:08 Donors raise $560 million for Gaza water treatment plant
- 09:56 Austin police investigating suspicious package FedEx facility near...
- 09:50 Texas water board withdraws application for $1.8M grants for flood...
- 07:34 City Council to call election to replace Larry Green
- 00:55 First lady to hold first public event on cyberbullying
- 00:49 GOP leaders have yet to move to protect special counsel
- 00:49 In NH and Iowa, Trump eyes 2020 re-election as midterms loom
- 00:21 Quick challenge for Mississippi's 15-week abortion ban
- 23:40 Moore: Kevin Sumlin looks ready as spring practice, new era begin...