Chaparral girls basketball caps season with 5A state title
The top-seeded Chaparral girls basketball team rattled off 15 straight wins to end the season, with their most important victory coming in Tempe on Tuesday night.
The Firebirds defeated the No. 2 Mesquite Wildcats, 63-55, to take the 5A state title at Wells Fargo Arena.
Last year, the Wildcats ended the Firebirds' season in the semifinals on their way to winning the state title.
"It was so heartbreaking last year when they kicked us out, and that made us want it so much more," Chaparral senior guard Summer Menke said.
CLOSE Sights and sounds from Chaparral's 5A championship win... read more
- 10:36 Arizona's best high school track programs: Chandler making mark
- 09:34 The Latest: Trump 'considering' veto of budget bill
- 08:46 Afghan army faulted for sloppiness with blood-type testing
- 02:46 Bolton's appointment comes at sensitive time for China ties
- 01:54 Trump orders huge tariffs on China, raises trade war worries
- 01:17 Which Kentucky basketball players will declare for the 2018 NBA draft?
- 01:03 Bolton replacing McMaster as Trump national security adviser
- 00:58 Trump's plan to remove McMaster wasn't true â until it was
- 22:43 Bickley: Cardinals must take the plunge and move up to get their...
- 20:57 Idaho to require personal details of women getting abortions