Conroy recalled as storyteller who touched readers worldwide
BEAUFORT, S.C. — Pat Conroy, author of works including "The Prince of Tides" and "The Great Santini," was remembered Tuesday as a "marsh-haunted boy" who battled sorrow and tragedy to create stories set on the South Carolina coast that enriched the lives of readers worldwide.
"He was the best storyteller of our time and quite possibly of any time," longtime friend Alex Sanders, a former president of The College of Charleston, told nearly 1,200 people attending a funeral Mass. "A legion of readers all around the world were enchanted and hung on... read more
- 19:22 Diamondbacks slugger Paul Goldschmidt hoping elbow issues are...
- 18:52 Arizona Coyotes head coach Rick Tocchet to attend mother's funeral,...
- 18:45 Death penalty for drug traffickers part of Trump opioid plan
- 18:35 Michigan State's golden opportunity for another national title is over
- 17:53 Matt Haarms' hair takes the nation by storm
- 17:12 ASU women face Texas in NCAA Tournament second-round game in Austin
- 17:04 Matt Haarms' hair takes the nation by storm
- 16:16 NJ Devils: Is Michael Grabner heating up? Penalty kill flourishes...
- 15:59 Playoff-bound Predators keep winning, but still searching for ways...
- 15:19 South Korean diplomat says Kim has 'given his word' on nukes