Death sentence upheld for convicted cop-killer Jason Wheeler
The Florida Supreme Court today upheld the conviction and death sentence for Jason Wheeler, who was convicted of killing a Lake County deputy in 2005.
Wheeler was found guilty of shooting Deputy Wayne Koester, one of the deputies dispatched to his Paisley home in February 2005 for a domestic-violence complaint. Wheeler escaped arrest initially, but deputies tracked him down, shot him and paralyzed him.
In his appeal, Wheeler's attorney argued there were nine problems with the trial, mostly that his defense attorney failed to offer key evidence or object to evidence. Among the claims,... read more
- 16:00 Melania Trump announces restoration of Blue Room furniture
- 15:10 The Latest: US identifies remains of 2 Korean War soldiers
- 14:56 Trump to address drugs, nuclear weapons in UN speeches
- 06:53 Political boot camp for women? One Texas university is working on it
- 00:29 North Korea's offer of concessions comes with a catch for US
- 00:29 Trump's tariffs put GOP candidates in a bind in rural areas