Desmond Tutu wins $1.7M Templeton Prize
LONDON The John Templeton Foundation says it has awarded South African Archbishop Desmond Tutu one of the world's leading religion prizes.
The organization says Tutu, 81, is the winner of the 2013 Templeton Prize for his "lifelong work in advancing spiritual principles." The honor comes with a 1.1 million-pound ($1.7 million) award.
The foundation said Thursday that Tutu, a Nobel Peace Prize laureate, will receive the prize at a ceremony at the Guildhall in London on May 21.
Responding to the announcement, Tutu thanked supporters and said that he accepted the prize "in a... read more
- 16:25 In Iowa, McAuliffe says he's not ruling out 2020 campaign
- 15:44 Trump to visit North Carolina to survey Florence impact
- 14:21 White House releases new biodefense strategy
- 14:01 The Latest: Trump considering permanent US troops in Poland
- 13:39 Ted Cruz holds 9 point lead on Beto OâRourke, new poll shows
- 12:39 Trump welcomes president of Poland to the White House