Elizabeth Warren seeks to neutralize 'Pocahontas' barbs
BOSTON (AP) — U.S. Sen. Elizabeth Warren is hoping to defuse an issue that has dogged her for years, her claims of Native American heritage, ahead of a possible run for president in 2020.
Last month, Warren addressed the National Congress of American Indians, trying to cast her family's story in the larger context of challenges facing native peoples. The prominent Democrat has also met with tribal leaders, signed on to legislation supported by Native American activists, and called on Republican President Donald Trump to nominate a director for the Indian Health Service.
The push is in part... read more
- 19:22 Diamondbacks slugger Paul Goldschmidt hoping elbow issues are...
- 18:52 Arizona Coyotes head coach Rick Tocchet to attend mother's funeral,...
- 18:45 Death penalty for drug traffickers part of Trump opioid plan
- 18:35 Michigan State's golden opportunity for another national title is over
- 17:53 Matt Haarms' hair takes the nation by storm
- 17:12 ASU women face Texas in NCAA Tournament second-round game in Austin
- 17:04 Matt Haarms' hair takes the nation by storm
- 16:16 NJ Devils: Is Michael Grabner heating up? Penalty kill flourishes...
- 15:59 Playoff-bound Predators keep winning, but still searching for ways...
- 15:19 South Korean diplomat says Kim has 'given his word' on nukes