France launches airstrikes against ISIL in Syria
France on Sunday said it launched its first airstrikes against the Islamic State group in Syria.
French President Francois Hollande earlier this month said his country will have to carry out airstrikes against the militants, also known as ISIL and ISIS, in the war-torn country, days after France ordered surveillance flights over ISIL positions there.
Hollande said there was proof that attacks were planned from Syria against several countries including France, and blamed ISIL for Europe's refugee crisis, the largest the continent has faced since World War II.
Millions of refugees from... read more
- 16:25 In Iowa, McAuliffe says he's not ruling out 2020 campaign
- 15:44 Trump to visit North Carolina to survey Florence impact
- 14:21 White House releases new biodefense strategy
- 14:01 The Latest: Trump considering permanent US troops in Poland
- 13:39 Ted Cruz holds 9 point lead on Beto OâRourke, new poll shows
- 12:39 Trump welcomes president of Poland to the White House