Fraudster almost got $900K from Harris County
Federal and local law enforcement are investigating the attempted theft of nearly $900,000 from Harris County by someone posing as a contractor doing repairs after Hurricane Harvey.
County employees last October sent $880,000 to the fake contractor, but was able to claw the money back the next day.
The incident has sparked calls for increased financial and cyber security in the third largest county in the country.
READ ALSO: State transfers $38.6 million in additional Harvey disaster aid
Now Playing: #HoustonStrong
Media: Southern Living According to county officials, someone emailed the... read more
- 16:07 Michael Flynn not yet ready to be sentenced, prosecutors say
- 15:32 Gov. Abbottâs call for more Texas teachers making $100k draws...
- 13:39 AP sources: Cohen in talks to strike plea deal in fraud case
- 11:50 Trump looking to best Obama's travel for midterms
- 11:50 Trump accuses de Blasio of slogan theft
- 10:18 Jury in Manafort trial enters 4th day of deliberations
- 09:08 Gallery: A purrfect debut [+ video]
- 00:51 Anti-Trump images become big business for DC projectionist
- 00:27 Trump looks to Brennan for a foil in Russia probe spat