Fraudster almost got $900K from Harris County
Federal and local law enforcement are investigating the attempted theft of nearly $900,000 from Harris County by someone posing as a contractor doing repairs after Hurricane Harvey.
County employees last October sent $880,000 to the fake contractor, but was able to claw the money back the next day.
The incident has sparked calls for increased financial and cyber security in the third largest county in the country.
READ ALSO: State transfers $38.6 million in additional Harvey disaster aid
Now Playing: #HoustonStrong
Media: Southern Living According to county officials, someone emailed the... read more
- 19:41 Moore: How will ASU's 'NFL model' affect star wide receiver N'Keal...
- 19:15 Scottsdale daredevil Valerie Thompson crashes at more than 340 mph...
- 18:57 Diamondbacks' Brad Boxberger eager to embrace his role, whatever it...
- 18:35 High school baseball roundup: Desert Mountain stuns No. 1 Basha
- 18:13 Arizona Cardinals Insiders Podcast: Offseason grade and mailbag...
- 17:41 Study: Medical bankruptcies may not be as common as thought
- 17:41 Leading AIDS researcher selected as CDC director
- 17:07 Trump pushing Europe to fix Iran deal he may blow up anyway
- 16:27 Moore: Will Sean Miller stay at Arizona after tournament loss, NCAA...
- 16:21 Chris Mack? Shaka Smart? Who will be Louisville's next basketball...