Freshman Barrett Skaugrud pitches Sandra Day O'Connor to 6A title
After using his ace in Saturday's elimination semifinal, Phoenix Sandra Day O'Connor coach Jeff Baumgartner turned to a freshman to pitch the biggest game in school history.
Barrett Skaugrud showed poise, threw strikes and let his defense make plays, as O'Connor beat rival Glendale Mountain Ridge 7-1 on Tuesday night for the 6A baseball state championship before a crowd of 4,286 fans at Tempe Diablo Stadium.
It was the first state title in school history and its first state final appearance in 10 years.
Mountain Ridge wasn't able to use its ace, senior left-hander Matthew Liberatore, after... read more
- 18:46 US newsrooms to Trump: We're not enemies of the people
- 18:08 After Brennan, 9 others face losing security clearances, too
- 15:30 White House says it values diversity, won't disclose numbers
- 15:03 Trump makes good on threat to revoke Brennan's clearance
- 14:00 DNC chair, Ellison discuss abuse allegations after primary
- 11:49 US sanctions shipping firms over North Korea trade
- 11:03 Ex-Trump campaign manager says Bloomberg is 2020 threat
- 11:03 The Latest: Prosecutors say greed, deception drove Manafort
- 09:07 White House admits error for false claim on black employment
- 07:26 City accused of using misleading ballot language for ReBuild...