Golden Gloves fighters punch their tickets to finals
Between 1921 and 1930, 25 Park Place was the home of the New York Daily News. In 1927 the Golden Gloves was started.
Tuesday night, 89 years later, the Gloves returned to the shadows of the Financial District, now the home of Church Street Boxing, and opening night for Week 7 of the tournament.
Two tickets for Barclays Center were punched as Ismael Villarreal (John’s Gym) and Taiwo Afolabi (Pac Plex BC) both advanced to the finals with 2-1 wins in the 165-open division.
Villarreal beat James Abraham (C1MMA) in a very close match. Abraham boxed and moved well throughout the bout, but when... read more
- 00:51 Anti-Trump images become big business for DC projectionist
- 00:27 Trump looks to Brennan for a foil in Russia probe spat
- 19:00 Trump elevates Brennan in proxy fight over Mueller probe
- 17:49 Watergate wisdom? Cohen lawyer turns to Nixon turncoat
- 17:16 AP EXPLAINS: Trump tweets stir up ghosts of McCarthy, Nixon
- 16:45 The Latest: Trump notes border agent's 'perfect English'
- 16:13 Melania Trump planning solo international swing to Africa
- 15:04 Trump honors federal immigration officials at White House
- 14:27 AP sources: Prosecutors preparing charges against Cohen
- 13:13 Giuliani clarifies his 'truth isn't truth' puzzler