Golden Gloves fighters punch their tickets to finals
Between 1921 and 1930, 25 Park Place was the home of the New York Daily News. In 1927 the Golden Gloves was started.
Tuesday night, 89 years later, the Gloves returned to the shadows of the Financial District, now the home of Church Street Boxing, and opening night for Week 7 of the tournament.
Two tickets for Barclays Center were punched as Ismael Villarreal (John’s Gym) and Taiwo Afolabi (Pac Plex BC) both advanced to the finals with 2-1 wins in the 165-open division.
Villarreal beat James Abraham (C1MMA) in a very close match. Abraham boxed and moved well throughout the bout, but when... read more
- 19:41 Moore: How will ASU's 'NFL model' affect star wide receiver N'Keal...
- 19:15 Scottsdale daredevil Valerie Thompson crashes at more than 340 mph...
- 18:57 Diamondbacks' Brad Boxberger eager to embrace his role, whatever it...
- 18:35 High school baseball roundup: Desert Mountain stuns No. 1 Basha
- 18:13 Arizona Cardinals Insiders Podcast: Offseason grade and mailbag...
- 17:41 Study: Medical bankruptcies may not be as common as thought
- 17:41 Leading AIDS researcher selected as CDC director
- 17:07 Trump pushing Europe to fix Iran deal he may blow up anyway
- 16:27 Moore: Will Sean Miller stay at Arizona after tournament loss, NCAA...
- 16:21 Chris Mack? Shaka Smart? Who will be Louisville's next basketball...