Google gives $1M grant, engineers to fight Zika virus
SAN FRANCISCO — Google is taking steps to combat the spread of Zika in Brazil and throughout Latin America.
The Internet giant's philanthropic arm, Google.org, is giving a $1 million grant to UNICEF. The grant is earmarked to raise awareness of the mosquito-borne virus, reduce mosquito populations, develop diagnostics and vaccines and work with communities and governments to prevent disease transmission. Google also has launched a matching campaign for Google employees with the goal of providing an additional $500,000 to UNICEF and the Pan American Health Organization.
To map and anticipate... read more
- 16:34 As he considers 2020, Biden airs regrets of Thomas hearings
- 15:25 First black female White House reporter gets Newseum statue
- 14:57 Judge denies bid to block courthouse immigration arrests
- 14:49 Rosenstein denies that he proposed secretly taping Trump
- 14:39 Evangelicals push Senate Republicans to confirm Kavanaugh
- 13:46 Obama turns focus on Pennsylvania, hopes to boost Democrats
- 11:16 The Latest: Trump delays release of Russia probe documents
- 10:28 Where Beto OâRourke and Ted Cruz will be this weekend
- 10:28 VIDEO: Willie Nelson on Beto backlash: 'I don't care'
- 07:16 In push to buy flooded homes, Harris County sometimes bested by...