Guns, gallows humor and threats: The chaotic hours that led to Don Shooter's expulsion
CLOSE Arizona House Speaker J.D. Mesnard records the vote to officially expel Rep. Don Shooter from the House on Feb. 1, 2018. Carly Henry/azcentral.com
J.D. Mesnard, the speaker of the House of Representatives, was barreling toward the state Capitol in his Honda Civic hybrid after a restless night.
He dreaded the day ahead.
Don Shooter, a lawmaker from Yuma, had been found by an investigation to have sexually harassed seven women and Mesnard had already stripped him of his committee positions. Days earlier, after researching punishments meted out at statehouses across the U.S. for such... read more
- 13:54 Lawyer: Melania Trump's parents are permanent US residents
- 13:54 Abbott asks TEA to identify, publicize school districts behind on...
- 13:46 US panel recommends new adult vaccine against hepatitis B
- 13:46 Murphy reverses Christie, approves $7.5M for women's health
- 13:32 Arizona special congressional election: Mail your ballot today
- 13:08 Steven Souza Jr. eager to fill key role, join familiar teammates on...
- 12:45 Audit: Arizona fails to collect $36.7 million in drug rebates
- 12:45 Ritz-Carlton finally breaks ground on Paradise Valley resort
- 12:10 White House says US could reach 3 percent growth rate
- 12:07 Arizona Diamondbacks trade history: Notable deals