He saved 6 men at Pearl Harbor. Finally, 76 years later, he's being honored
CLOSE These men experienced the horror of the sinking of the battleship USS Arizona and lived to tell about it. “Witnesses to infamy: The survivors of the attack on the battleship USS Arizona,” an azcentral special documentary Pat Shannahan.
Anyone who heard the story of Joe George at Pearl Harbor knew at once this was the story of a hero: a young sailor who risked his life in the fiery Japanese ambush to rescue the last six survivors from the sinking USS Arizona.
Joe George should get a medal for what he did, everyone would say.
Strangers who heard the story said it. The men he saved said... read more
- 18:37 Diamondbacks sign outfielder Jarrod Dyson
- 17:52 Man shot dead by off-duty officer at Scottsdale mall pointed gun at...
- 17:33 Arizona Diamondbacks: Should best trades in franchise history...
- 16:25 Buying a new car? Here are the four best deals
- 16:23 Newcomer’s guide to spring in Phoenix
- 15:49 Trump to attend Gridiron Dinner after skipping it last year
- 15:47 Finals fours: Setting the Arizona high school basketball...
- 15:30 In 'Educated,' the inspiring story of an isolated young woman...
- 15:08 Los Angeles Dodgers eager to finish what they started, win the...
- 15:01 Craft beer, whiskey producers hail giant excise tax cut