Homegoing celebration for Pilgrim Rest's Bishop Alexis Thomas draws 6,000 downtown
CLOSE Several thousand people went to Bishop Alexis Thomas' Homegoing Celebration at the Phoenix Convention Center on Monday, Jan. 29, 2018. Thomas served as senior pastor for Pilgrim Rest Baptist Church in Phoenix for 33 years. Tom Tingle/azcentral.com
More than 6,000 people packed the Phoenix Convention Center on Monday to pay final respects to Bishop Alexis Thomas, who over his lifetime built one of the largest African-American congregations in the Southwest.
Thomas was 50 years old when he died Jan. 18, leaving behind his wife, Michele, and five sons.
Considered a child prodigy of... read more
- 08:41 Her family saved for Disneyland. Then a Phoenix rental-car company...
- 08:34 Needle exchanges are on the rise across U.S. In Arizona, they're...
- 01:00 Trump stays quiet on shooting victims, fumes over Russia
- 01:00 Former VP Biden mulling another run for presidency
- 23:18 Joe Biden says Trump threatening America's role as a scientific leader
- 22:52 Police: 80-year-old man missing in Surprise
- 22:38 'Our mission is to unite': Phoenix Chinese Week festival celebrates...
- 21:56 Ex-wife of former White House aide says Hatch has apologized
- 21:04 Miguel Cabrera arrives at Detroit Tigers spring training, focused...
- 20:59 Cincinnati Reds' Joey Votto on 2018 season: 'Something needs to...