Homegoing celebration for Pilgrim Rest's Bishop Alexis Thomas draws 6,000 downtown
CLOSE Several thousand people went to Bishop Alexis Thomas' Homegoing Celebration at the Phoenix Convention Center on Monday, Jan. 29, 2018. Thomas served as senior pastor for Pilgrim Rest Baptist Church in Phoenix for 33 years. Tom Tingle/azcentral.com
More than 6,000 people packed the Phoenix Convention Center on Monday to pay final respects to Bishop Alexis Thomas, who over his lifetime built one of the largest African-American congregations in the Southwest.
Thomas was 50 years old when he died Jan. 18, leaving behind his wife, Michele, and five sons.
Considered a child prodigy of... read more
- 06:45 Democrat Kim Olson has more cash, less debt than Agriculture...
- 06:45 Texas Senate panel meets today to discuss mass shootings in schools
- 05:05 Ex-FBI chief Comey urges voters to support Democrats in fall
- 04:34 Trump backs off siding with Russia over US intelligence
- 00:41 Trump backs off siding with Russia over US intelligence
- 22:13 Where Texas politicians stand on marijuana
- 17:35 Trump blames 'double negative' for furor over Putin meeting
- 17:21 Lights go out during Trump statement at the White House