Houston City Council to discuss firefighter pay issue at meeting union calls 'improper'
A Houston City Council committee will gather this morning to discuss the cost implications of a proposal that would grant firefighters the same pay as police officers of corresponding rank, a matter that could go before voters as early as November.
Houston firefighters, who circulated the “parity” petition last summer, say the very discussion is improper and toes the line of electioneering because the council has not yet decided when the petition will appear before the voters.
State law, they note, requires the council to place verified petitions on a ballot, and this petition was verified... read more
- 14:01 Why did Nancy Pelosi avoid the two hottest Texas congressional...
- 11:29 Melania Trump to address cyberbullying summit in Maryland
- 07:22 The Latest: Brennan says Trump is trying to silence critics
- 00:56 Trump pulls Brennan's clearance, links move to Russia probe
- 00:32 Jury to begin deliberating in Manafort financial fraud trial
- 00:32 Trump's list: Those who might lose their security clearance
- 21:29 The Latest: Brennan calls Trump action 'abuse of power'