Houston City Council to schedule ballot measures this week
Houston City Council on Wednesday will consider scheduling elections on two ballot measures, but one is likely to spur some debate, as Mayor Sylvester Turner has given the council two options from which to choose.
Houston firefighters gathered tens of thousands of voter signatures and submitted a petition seeking "parity" in pay with police a year ago, but had to sue the city to force it to count the petition. They won, and the petition was validated in May.
Since then, they have stressed that state law requires council members to place the item before voters and that a debate on... read more
- 18:46 US newsrooms to Trump: We're not enemies of the people
- 18:08 After Brennan, 9 others face losing security clearances, too
- 15:30 White House says it values diversity, won't disclose numbers
- 15:03 Trump makes good on threat to revoke Brennan's clearance
- 14:00 DNC chair, Ellison discuss abuse allegations after primary
- 11:49 US sanctions shipping firms over North Korea trade
- 11:03 Ex-Trump campaign manager says Bloomberg is 2020 threat
- 11:03 The Latest: Prosecutors say greed, deception drove Manafort
- 09:07 White House admits error for false claim on black employment
- 07:26 City accused of using misleading ballot language for ReBuild...