Houston firefighters ask judge to force city to verify their pay 'parity' petition
Houston firefighters asked a judge on Monday to force the city secretary to count a referendum petition they submitted last July seeking to have give them parity in pay with police officers of corresponding rank.
Marty Lancton, president of the Houston Professional Fire Fighters Association, Local 341, filed suit against City Secretary Anna Russell in December, seeking to have a court force her to count and validate the petitions in 30 days.
State District Judge Dan Hinde did not issue an immediate ruling after a three-hour trial Monday.
City attorneys argued the firefighters’ claim lacks... read more
- 14:06 Game Day: Arizona Coyotes battle the Minnesota Wild
- 14:06 Game Day: Phoenix Suns face Golden State Warriors minus their stars
- 11:03 Obama to visit Singapore, New Zealand, Australia, Japan
- 03:01 Youth served as 20-year-old Daria Kasatkina outlasts valiant Venus...
- 01:55 ASU baseball opens Pac-12 play with comeback win over Oregon
- 01:11 ASU coach Herm Edwards braves flight with Blue Angels before Friday...
- 00:50 White House chief tells staff their jobs safeâ for now
- 00:42 Trump's possible China tariffs send opponents scrambling
- 00:32 Chaos rules: Left and right, Trump advisers in hot water
- 23:52 Predators clinch playoff spot, increase lead in NHL standings by...