If Arizona had not fired so many tax collectors, would there be money for teacher raises?
CLOSE Arizona Gov. Doug Ducey's 2019 budget includes more money for schools and teachers, which everyone agrees we need. The open question: Is it enough?
Gov. Doug Ducey — in a sharp policy reversal — wants the state Department of Revenue to rehire 25 tax collectors after the agency lost $83 million in audit revenue, records show.
The rehired audit and collections staff would pursue individual and corporate tax cheats, after Ducey helped orchestrate mass firings of tax collectors two years ago. The Governor's Office projects the new hires would generate at least $31 million for the general... read more
- 18:05 Is there a backdoor to getting at Donald Trump's tax return?
- 18:05 Texas Congressman says Bible is against amnesty for undocumented...
- 16:51 Military veterans divided over Trump's Russia comments
- 16:17 After Harvey, FEMA says it will do better in 2018 hurricane season
- 15:10 Trump-Kim statement overpromised on return of war remains
- 14:41 Beto OâRourke vs Ted Cruz is the most expensive U.S. Senate race...
- 14:41 Trump's diagnosis for critics: 'Trump Derangement Syndrome'
- 14:07 Lupe Valdez nixes Greg Abbottâs debate offer, tells him: âStop...
- 13:00 'We will be equally culpable': Texas Republican calls for Trump's...
- 12:49 Wendy Davis and Battleground Texas fined $6,000 for 2014 campaign...