If Arizona had not fired so many tax collectors, would there be money for teacher raises?
CLOSE Arizona Gov. Doug Ducey's 2019 budget includes more money for schools and teachers, which everyone agrees we need. The open question: Is it enough?
Gov. Doug Ducey — in a sharp policy reversal — wants the state Department of Revenue to rehire 25 tax collectors after the agency lost $83 million in audit revenue, records show.
The rehired audit and collections staff would pursue individual and corporate tax cheats, after Ducey helped orchestrate mass firings of tax collectors two years ago. The Governor's Office projects the new hires would generate at least $31 million for the general... read more
- 02:49 Phoenix police seek the public's help finding missing 74-year-old...
- 02:08 Trent Hudgens sends Moon Valley past Cactus Shadows to 4A semifinals
- 00:58 Texas Rangers seek to turn talent into title contention
- 00:51 'We're not alone in the universe': Man at Scottsdale UFO conference...
- 23:58 Trump criticizes FBI over handling of shooting suspect tip
- 23:31 'We're not sure if there's a possibility of a better future for...
- 23:08 Shadow Mountain rolls into 4A semifinals with relentless defense
- 22:28 Oakland Athletics, slugger Khris Davis, primed for a step up
- 22:09 Devin Booker sets NBA 3-point contest record with 28 points in win
- 22:07 After massive Mexico earthquake, fatal helicopter crash, Phoenix...