Is citizenship for Dreamers amnesty? Ted Cruz: Yes; John Cornyn: No.
WASHINGTON – Would granting a path to citizenship for 1.8 million young immigrants brought here illegally as children be amnesty?
Texas' two Republican U.S. senators, John Cornyn and Ted Cruz, provide two very different answers to that question, which is one of the four "pillars" of President Donald Trump's immigration plan.
Cruz, the lone dissenting senator in Monday's 97-1 vote to begin debate on a GOP proposal that includes Trump's plan, argues that it would be a mistake to grant citizenship to "anybody here illegally."
To Cruz and many other hardliners on... read more
- 12:03 Phoenix has fewer than 100 homes left from 19th century. Here's...
- 12:03 Phoenix mulls harassment, discrimination policy for council members
- 12:03 Phoenix to debate cost of Donald Trump visit, use of chemical...
- 11:31 'Blue Dreams': How mood-altering drugs saved author Lauren Slater...
- 11:27 Ranking biggest NFL draft busts of all time
- 11:01 Chandler schools superintendent to discuss controversial Snapchat...
- 11:01 Habitat Metro plans second apartment project in downtown Mesa
- 11:01 Restaurant inspections: 6 Phoenix-area eateries on this week's list
- 09:58 Trump again attacks Obama over Russia
- 09:31 Mitch Albom plans sequel to 'Five People You Meet in Heaven'