Islanders fans lukewarm about Brooklyn: 'Corporate America has won again'
It might not seem like it to those of a certain age, but Nassau Coliseum once was nicknamed Fort Neverlose.
During the early 1980s, the New York Islanders simply did not lose many games, especially during the postseason. The Islanders won 19 consecutive playoff series between 1980 and 1984 — before the streak was halted by Wayne Gretzky and the upstart Edmonton Oilers in the Stanley Cup Final.
But all things pass, and the Islanders dynasty went. The Islanders struggled on the ice and the Coliseum became outdated. And with Nassau County unwilling to foot the bill for a new arena, the team’s... read more
- 14:48 ASU basketball adds 7-foot big man to talented 2018 recruiting class
- 14:24 Fans react to Arizona Diamondbacks game exclusively on Facebook
- 14:01 NFL mock draft: Where will Arizona high school products get picked...
- 13:43 US to end special protections for 9,000 Nepalese immigrants
- 13:33 'Busy' Trump admits he didn't get wife much for her birthday
- 13:31 More kids have autism, better diagnosis may be the reason
- 12:54 White House takes questions at Take Your Kid to Work Day
- 12:00 White House says Trump to visit UK in July
- 10:50 Mattis: Administration still weighing Iran nuke deal
- 10:50 The Latest: Trump says he did stay overnight in Moscow