Islanders fans lukewarm about Brooklyn: 'Corporate America has won again'
It might not seem like it to those of a certain age, but Nassau Coliseum once was nicknamed Fort Neverlose.
During the early 1980s, the New York Islanders simply did not lose many games, especially during the postseason. The Islanders won 19 consecutive playoff series between 1980 and 1984 — before the streak was halted by Wayne Gretzky and the upstart Edmonton Oilers in the Stanley Cup Final.
But all things pass, and the Islanders dynasty went. The Islanders struggled on the ice and the Coliseum became outdated. And with Nassau County unwilling to foot the bill for a new arena, the team’s... read more
- 20:56 Ex-Trump lawyer Cohen providing info in Mueller probe
- 19:01 Suburban women wrestle with Kavanaugh allegations
- 16:00 Melania Trump announces restoration of Blue Room furniture
- 15:10 The Latest: US identifies remains of 2 Korean War soldiers
- 14:56 Trump to address drugs, nuclear weapons in UN speeches
- 06:53 Political boot camp for women? One Texas university is working on it