John Zucco, former football coach at Bagdad and Tempe high schools, dies at 92
News that John Zucco died on Saturday at the age of 92 hit Frank Castro pretty hard.
Not long into a conversation about his 1952 six-man state championship Bagdad High football team - with Zucco coaching and Castro at defensive end - Castro has trouble keeping his composure, breaking down in tears.
Over the next few decades, if they'd run into each other in Tempe, they'd hug and move on, not many words exchanged. But they never needed long conversations to catch up. They were connected by that magical '52 season.
"I was the only Mexican on the team," said Castro, who would later... read more
- 00:51 Anti-Trump images become big business for DC projectionist
- 00:27 Trump looks to Brennan for a foil in Russia probe spat
- 19:00 Trump elevates Brennan in proxy fight over Mueller probe
- 17:49 Watergate wisdom? Cohen lawyer turns to Nixon turncoat
- 17:16 AP EXPLAINS: Trump tweets stir up ghosts of McCarthy, Nixon
- 16:45 The Latest: Trump notes border agent's 'perfect English'
- 16:13 Melania Trump planning solo international swing to Africa
- 15:04 Trump honors federal immigration officials at White House
- 14:27 AP sources: Prosecutors preparing charges against Cohen
- 13:13 Giuliani clarifies his 'truth isn't truth' puzzler