Joie Chitwood on Phoenix ISM Raceway rebuild, NASCAR fans
In motorsports entertainment history, the name Chitwood holds a place of honor alongside those of Petty, Andretti and Allison.
Joie Chitwood, who three times finished fifth in the Indianapolis 500 between 1940-50, founded the famed family thrill show which bore his name and traveled the country. He and son Joie Jr. did movie stunts and test-crashed into guardrails to improve highway safety.
Joie Chitwood III joined the show at age 5 and then began a career in racetrack management. He's one of only two men to be president of both the Indianapolis Motor Speedway and Daytona International... read more
- 17:43 QB Verlon Reed Jr., ready to return for Arizona Rattlers with 1st...
- 17:41 Trump says administration will ban bump stock devices
- 17:13 Protests erupt in Poland over plan to tighten abortion law
- 16:06 Something to brag about? ASU beat five teams contending for a...
- 15:52 Jets emerging as 'serious' contender to sign Ndamukong Suh, per report
- 15:41 Rochester Amerks 'humble' legend Dick Gamble dies
- 14:55 NFL players: Study to detect CTE markers in the living needs you
- 14:52 First lady recognizes 10 women with global courage awards
- 14:16 Marcus Cooper visits Cardinals as team searches for CB to pair with...
- 14:10 Trump says South Korea trade deal being updated