Key excerpts from Arizona lawmakers' speeches in debate over Don Shooter's ouster
CLOSE Arizona House Speaker J.D. Mesnard records the vote to officially expel Rep. Don Shooter from the House on Feb. 1, 2018. Carly Henry/azcentral.com
On Thursday, the Arizona House of Representatives voted to expel Rep. Don Shooter over complaints that he sexually harassed women.
The vote triggered a series of dramatic floor speeches in which many lawmakers shed tears. Some doubted whether they would stay in politics. A few argued against removing Shooter.
Here are some of the key statements from the floor debate.
"I found a culture down where when I was elected that was shocking.... read more
- 13:31 Trump scolds California for 'no help' in fighting MS-13 gang
- 13:18 Endangered Mexican gray wolf population remained flat in new count
- 13:10 Suspect in fatal triple shooting has died; police unsure if wound...
- 13:04 Toyota dominates Consumer Reports 2018 Top Picks for vehicles
- 13:03 Agent's detailed records show exactly how much players' families...
- 13:01 Pence urges conservatives to 'defend' Trump accomplishments
- 12:53 Tyrod Taylor to Cardinals? Buffalo Bills quarterback predicted to...
- 12:47 ASU women's basketball seeks 20th win vs. No. 8 Oregon
- 12:17 Police evaluating threat made on social media toward St. Mary's...
- 12:03 School district: AG's unlawful electioneering allegation 'misleading'