Kwok: Save the Chinese Cultural Center? Shouldn't it be one first?
As eleventh-hour campaigns go, the effort to save the Chinese Cultural Center in east Phoenix boasts a bit of vigor.
Supporters have retained high-powered attorneys and the help of a former mayor. It has gotten hundreds of people to rally at the center on successive weekends, circulated petitions that have drawn thousands of signatures and comments, and generated news coverage overseas.
On Tuesday, the pressure reaches the Phoenix City Council, which will weigh a request by the group
for a public hearing and action to preserve the structure.
If only there was more to fight for — and to... read more
- 18:32 US pulled multiple ways in Syria as Islamic State recedes
- 18:04 Turner press aide who conducted personal business on city time...
- 18:00 Arizona Cardinals coach Steve Wilks lauded as 'great leader' by...
- 18:00 Scottsdale Christian continues string of Phoenix-area high school...
- 17:43 Homeless Arizona man stored human head in campsite bucket,...
- 17:39 Cave Creek Cactus Shadows soccer team rallies around coach's...
- 17:16 Police confident of murder conviction despite failure to locate...
- 17:12 Libertarian Nicholas Sarwark running for Phoenix mayor
- 16:51 Chilean 'anti-poet' Nicanor Parra dies at 103
- 16:18 Twistars' Geddert says in email to families he plans to retire