Lawmaker files 'Jared Kushner Act' to limit tenant arrests
ANNAPOLIS, Md. (AP) — A Maryland lawmaker has sponsored the "Jared Kushner Act," a bill that would prevent state judges from issuing arrest warrants for tenants who are being sued for less than $5,000 in unpaid rent.
Del. Bilal Ali, a Baltimore Democrat, said Wednesday he named the bill after President Donald Trump's son-in-law because Kushner's apartment management company was the state's most aggressive landlord in obtaining civil arrest warrants against tenants.
"I think that people have a right to know who's dragging them off to jail," Ali said. "I mean, he has... read more
- 15:25 Police: Student caught with gun in car at Liberty High School in...
- 15:00 Second child in Houston dies from flu-related causes
- 14:57 Mueller files new charges in Manafort case
- 14:35 Steven Souza Jr. trade reaction: Arizona Diamondbacks rob 'tanking'...
- 14:22 Gilbert High students stage walkout after 17 killed at Florida high...
- 14:06 Chuck Schumer endorses Tahir Javed in Houston congressional race
- 13:54 Lawyer: Melania Trump's parents are permanent US residents
- 13:54 Abbott asks TEA to identify, publicize school districts behind on...
- 13:46 US panel recommends new adult vaccine against hepatitis B
- 13:46 Murphy reverses Christie, approves $7.5M for women's health