Leahy: GOP shouldn't leave open seat on Supreme Court
BURLINGTON, Vt. — Sen. Patrick Leahy had harsh words on Monday for Senate Republicans who want to leave an open seat on the Supreme Court until the next president is sworn in.
“It would be totally irresponsible for us to wait that long,” said Leahy, the ranking Democrat on the Senate Judiciary Committee that oversees the confirmation process.
President Obama will step down Jan. 20, 2017, giving him just over 11 months left in office.
Antonin Scalia's death and the battle to replace him at the Supreme Court
Justice Antonin Scalia died suddenly over the weekend at a ranch in Texas.... read more
- 02:51 Short-handed Diamondbacks nearly no-hit by Padres
- 02:33 Horizon wins at home on ninth-inning walk-off, 4-3
- 01:03 Giuliani adds toughness, star power to legal team for Trump
- 01:03 Haley's response: 'I don't get confused' draws notice
- 01:03 Steyer's talk of impeaching Trump not appealing to Dems
- 00:46 Dems' lawsuit alleges conspiracy between Trump camp, Russia
- 00:22 Madisen Duryea builds on home run total as Bradshaw Mountain...
- 23:17 Arizona Diamondbacks' bullpen getting results without overpowering...
- 22:09 Diamondbacks hold A.J. Pollock, Chris Owings out after outfield...
- 21:38 High holiday: Pot fans join 420 smoke-out in San Francisco