Leahy: GOP shouldn't leave open seat on Supreme Court
BURLINGTON, Vt. — Sen. Patrick Leahy had harsh words on Monday for Senate Republicans who want to leave an open seat on the Supreme Court until the next president is sworn in.
“It would be totally irresponsible for us to wait that long,” said Leahy, the ranking Democrat on the Senate Judiciary Committee that oversees the confirmation process.
President Obama will step down Jan. 20, 2017, giving him just over 11 months left in office.
Antonin Scalia's death and the battle to replace him at the Supreme Court
Justice Antonin Scalia died suddenly over the weekend at a ranch in Texas.... read more
- 15:20 Houston City Council agrees to subsidize Fifth Ward grocery
- 15:20 What is the FBI's role in the Kavanaugh allegations?
- 11:26 Hoping for a blue wave, Texas Democrats instead got smacked this week
- 11:12 Trump: Not concerned about Manafort cooperation
- 10:59 Trump arrives in North Carolina to survey Florence damage
- 10:59 After mocking Kavanaughâs accuser on Twitter, Texas attorney...
- 09:59 Trump rips Sessions: 'I don't have an attorney general'
- 06:40 Houston to consider tiny tax rate hike