Lebanese troops open road to Syrian border town
BEIRUT -- Security officials say Lebanese troops have dismantled roadblocks and reopened a key road to a predominantly Sunni town near the Syrian border.
The officials say the road leading to the town of Arsal was opened on Wednesday morning and that reinforcements were sent to defuse tensions. They spoke on condition of anonymity in line with regulations.
The development comes after days of tensions in the area, where Shiite Hezbollah gunmen and local residents had blocked off the road to the Sunni town of Arsal.
The Shiites blamed the townspeople and Syrian rebels who fled to Arsal for... read more
- 16:25 In Iowa, McAuliffe says he's not ruling out 2020 campaign
- 15:44 Trump to visit North Carolina to survey Florence impact
- 14:21 White House releases new biodefense strategy
- 14:01 The Latest: Trump considering permanent US troops in Poland
- 13:39 Ted Cruz holds 9 point lead on Beto OâRourke, new poll shows
- 12:39 Trump welcomes president of Poland to the White House
- 09:04 5 ways Trump's tariffs on $200B in China goods could be felt