Lebanese troops open road to Syrian border town
BEIRUT -- Security officials say Lebanese troops have dismantled roadblocks and reopened a key road to a predominantly Sunni town near the Syrian border.
The officials say the road leading to the town of Arsal was opened on Wednesday morning and that reinforcements were sent to defuse tensions. They spoke on condition of anonymity in line with regulations.
The development comes after days of tensions in the area, where Shiite Hezbollah gunmen and local residents had blocked off the road to the Sunni town of Arsal.
The Shiites blamed the townspeople and Syrian rebels who fled to Arsal for... read more
- 20:21 Cardinals plan to exercise fifth-year option for left tackle D.J....
- 19:54 Texas agriculture commissioner errs in interpreting barbecue bill,...
- 19:23 Arizona Cardinals have urgent need for wide receivers behind Larry...
- 19:10 UT ready to sell 300 acres of Houston land
- 18:19 NFL draft: 2018 quarterback class not measuring up to 1983 comparisons
- 17:54 Pence to name Kellogg as national security adviser
- 17:52 Diamondbacks left-hander Patrick Corbin named National League...
- 17:52 ASU NFL draft preview: The intriguing case of Kalen Ballage
- 17:52 Perry's Chubba Purdy stops at-bat to honor national anthem from...
- 16:56 Phoenix Suns have talked to Jason Kidd, Vinny Del Negro about...