Liberty escapes trouble against Verrado to capture 5A baseball title
Peoria Liberty pitchers Chandler Murphy and J.D. Wadleigh were in trouble for much of the combined six innings they worked on Tuesday night.
But when they needed outs most, they delivered.
Murphy worked 4 1/3 innings and Wadleigh finished without giving up a run, as clutch Liberty captured the 5A state baseball championship with a 6-2 victory over No. 2-seed and emotionally depleted Buckeye Verrado at Tempe Diablo Stadium.
Verrado (27-5), which had a 19-game winning streak snapped, stranded 14 base runners after scoring two runs in the first inning off starter Cameron Bracke, who lasted one... read more
- 11:57 Sutherland Springs survivor urges gun owners to push back against NRA
- 11:18 The Latest: US team heading to Singapore to work on summit
- 10:19 Family grateful for Utah man's 'miracle' Venezuela release
- 09:36 Resistance makes subtle impact even where Trump is popular
- 02:03 Giuliani says White House wants briefing on classified info
- 01:02 Trump stays out of messy House immigration fight
- 00:46 Trump shifts stance on Korea summit from 'off' to 'maybe'
- 00:46 Trump's dizzying shifts on issues from NK, guns, health care