Local veterans court program serves as an alternative to jail
Local court officials and veterans advocates hope a new program will help those who have been in combat stay out of jail.
Calhoun County’s new veterans treatment court is an alternative sentencing program modeled on similar programs established around the country in recent years. Circuit Court Judge Brenda Stedham, who was asked to start the program by the Administrative Office of Courts, said on Tuesday that she wants to make the program more widely known.
According to veteran advocates, those returning from combat often have mental health disorders or substance abuse issues that can lead... read more
- 15:20 Houston City Council agrees to subsidize Fifth Ward grocery
- 15:20 What is the FBI's role in the Kavanaugh allegations?
- 11:26 Hoping for a blue wave, Texas Democrats instead got smacked this week
- 11:12 Trump: Not concerned about Manafort cooperation
- 10:59 Trump arrives in North Carolina to survey Florence damage
- 10:59 After mocking Kavanaughâs accuser on Twitter, Texas attorney...
- 09:59 Trump rips Sessions: 'I don't have an attorney general'
- 06:40 Houston to consider tiny tax rate hike